Stem cell research a good topic to get involved for a premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shnjb

Rod
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think that human embryonic stem cell research would be interesting and significant for someone planning to go to med school, possibly an MD/PhD program?

For example, research at an organic chemistry laboratory, I have learned, is not all that related to medicine at all.
Sure, the molecules may have medical significance, but the tedious process of synthesis of those molecules is completely unrelated and not "helpful" for the career of an MD, in my opinion.

On the other hand, I think something like testing a certain drug on murines or working with even drosophilia for neurology-related topic might be something a premed can find useful later on.

So, with all of that said, do you guys think human ES cell research would be a good choice?
Personally, I'm fascinated by the topic and although I'd be initially very limited in what I can do in the lab, (cell count, cell culture, helping with the whole renewal and differentiation processes) it is my understanding that I could be doing a lot more after a year or so in the lab.

Basically, I'm looking for something I could continue in an MD/PhD program.
Yay? Nay?

(Also, if you could, please give me your opinion on whether a lady who is an MD associate professor in charge of 5 projects would be better to work with or a guy who is a PhD assistant professor who will personally work with me along with only one grad student would be better)

Thanks for all your opinions in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.