stem cell research, cloning etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salud80

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that we are going to run into question that deal with socio-political and ethical implications associated with current medical technologies sooner or later through our secondaries or in our interview. What are your opinons on stem-cell research, cloning etc. I always believed that we can't give a clear-cut answer to such questions on the basis of ethics. Of course we can always attack such technologies based on the premise exploiting unborn human beings, but I always believed that such statement lacked substantial support.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to do stem cell research/clone in a lab just because it is interesting and there are a lot of things we just do not know.

i think you should just become more knowledgeable about whats involved in stem cell research and you'll form an opinion.
there are ALOT of websites out there where people have written position papers on what they feel and their day job is to back it up with research and other factual information.

if you want to formulate a stance, then you need the knowledge to not only make the decision, but also to back it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will leave a question of Ethics to the people who have a lot time to waste with talking about it and doing nothing. I am more of a doer kind of person.

yeah say that on your interview

Yeah....... I am just really blunt and ethics/bioethics is not my best topic because of it chatingess. too many word and too few deeds in the result.

Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]
I will leave a question of Ethics to the people who have a lot time to waste with talking about it and doing nothing. I am more of a doer kind of person.

we've got a winner.

Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Wow. If there was one field where ethics did matter I would think medicine would be the one. With many medical schools putting more and more emphasis on ethics in medicine in their curriculum, you better reexamine your thinking on this subject.

From personal experience, I will GUARANTEE you that if you interview one the questions you'll get will be of an ethical nature. The response above is unacceptable and will guarantee you a rejection sooner than a poor MCAT score or a poor GPA.

I strongly recommend that you take a class on medical ethics if you are still an undergrad. They are usually offered under most philosophy departments so you can see how much they do matter and how much they have changed medicine today.

As a bit of a primer, I'll just tell you that medicine today is far different than medicine 50 years ago because of those chatty ethicists. Just ask the poor individuals that were involved in the Tuskegee Experiment in the 30s.