Stem Cells and Science Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmd024000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To raise awareness on these issues, I would encourage everyone to read this open letter.

Regards,
kmd024000
neuraldump.blogspot.com

Members don't see this ad.

Shouldn’t something put forward to “raise awareness” be a little more balanced? This “open letter” (aren’t open letters usually signed by the author?) meanders through stem cells, slams Bush, slams the war, talks for a little while about the Hubble telescope and is festooned with advertisements for stem cell related companies and products such as this highly questionable… well I can’t really tell what it is. Medication, supplement, placebo, not quite sure.

http://www.speedyhealthsupplements.com/stemenhance.html?gclid=CK2qhfj-9IwCFSCTWAod6iSxEQ

Anyway. I guess I’m fully “aware” now.

I don't think that someone's argument about wasting money somewhere is a really good excuse that we should waste it somewhere else. As someone who has tended to disagree with most of Iraq from the beginning, I find it to be truly irrelevant as to funding stem cell research. Defense spending, while we may argue all day as to whether this use is a good idea, is explicitly given to the federal government as a right in the constitution. Funding controversial scientific research falls horrifyingly short of a "right" of the federal government and is almost assuredly banned by the 10th amendment. The fact that it is done in other instances doesn't make it legal. State funded research, while I disagree with it, doesn't fall into this category. I think that Bush is actually correct here, and it is not the place of the federal government to force taxpayers to fund research that violates their personal ethical principles. If the promise is truly as close as everyone says it is, and that is something that I question as someone who has spent some time around the research, get private funding. Any attempt to stop that would also raise my ire.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought we had repealed the 10th amendment. I don't know what gave me that idea.

I thought so too. I keep finding it in copies of the Bill of Rights though. Perhaps it was selectively removed from the copy they study at the Supreme Court.

I thought so too. I keep finding it in copies of the Bill of Rights though. Perhaps it was selectively removed from the copy they study at the Supreme Court.
Nah, the copy at the Supreme Court reads: All powers not specifically delegated to the federal government are reserved for the states including the right to seize private property and give it to developers to raise the tax base."

Nah, the copy at the Supreme Court reads: All powers not specifically delegated to the federal government are reserved for the states including the right to seize private property and give it to developers to raise the tax base."

:laugh: Isn't that the truth.

All you right-wing nutjobs can take your "morals", and "values" and slam em up yer ass. I want to vomit everytime I hear somebody discard science in the name of "faith". This article was simply trying to shed light on the PREVAILING attitude this administration has towards science. To sum it up for the confused, this guy bush has repeatedly opposed/ignored science in favor of faith! What a croc a shiit. The perverse ideology that permeates our country scares me. I actually get frightened when I hear some school boards try and discredit evolution and extole intelligent design. Bush likes this idea, hes an ex-coke head with a background in evangelical dogma! Is that what you want to put your tax dollars behind? Lets see heres your choice, 1) support and encourage science in its purest possible form, so that society can benefit OR 2) jump on the ol bandwagon with the rest of ***** fantasy camp that believes some supernatural being is running the show, and IT says that we can't pursue some area of scientific research.:barf: