Step 1 2005/FRED Software: Post Your Opinions Here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thaitanium

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The FRED software is supposed to be implemented in May/June 2005 what is everyone's opinion regarding this software. Advantages/Disadvantages; Likes/Dislikes.

Good luck to all taking the Step 1 exam this year!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just upset they're not telling us exactly when they're actually implementing it. I take my test on June 9th, so it would be nice to know which software I'll be using.

Thaitanium said:
The FRED software is supposed to be implemented in May/June 2005 what is everyone's opinion regarding this software. Advantages/Disadvantages; Likes/Dislikes.

Good luck to all taking the Step 1 exam this year!!!!!!

i was reading about it on kaplan's website and basically it seems as if you can choose to use it or no by using the features (or not). still it woudl be nice to practice on it though.

I agree that the damn software is irrelevant. If it displays the question stem, the choices, some sort of clock and it allows you to click on the answer - that's that, all I need. There may some additional features that are weird, yet simple (such as being able to make chunks of text disappear, marking 'unsure' items etc), but who cares?

One issue I am interested in though: in the test center nearest to me, they have these crappy display screens that use an unbelievably low refresh rate. Is it the same everywhere? Doesn't Prometric make enough doe to buy some low end Korean TFTs? I donno, but I guess one of the real problems I will face could be related to the horrible headache and my sight blurring out. :eek: