STEP 1 205, What Next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vmed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO I just recently got my USMLE step 1 score and I got a 205. I am interested in emergency medicine but now with that low score I see my chances very slim. I already know that I would have to shoot for a high score on Step 2 and take it early;however, I highly doubt I will get a score above a 220 because English is my second language and quite frankly while taking step 1, it was the 1st time I felt at a disadventage for having English as a second language(Spanish being first). I am planing on working my butt off this year and get A's in most of my thrid year rotations.....and I know I can do that!!! assuming I get a 217 0r 220 on step 2 and do very well on third rotations, get great letter's and blah blah blah...what programs could I even consider? any chance on getting at a decent program(not university based of course)? comments will be much appreciated......PM me if you have questions. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is hope. Surely some programs wont consider you but at the same time i would say if you got great 3rd yr grades and even more importantly got great LORs you will get some solid interviews. Hope is not lost. Also keep in mind that being a spanish speaker should help through the interview process. I assume you are a USMG being a FMG might make this tougher but I will let other comment on that.

Yes, I am going to medical school in the US and did my undergraduate here as well. I have considered General Surgery also but that may be even harder to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have no fear....I got a 205 on Step 1 and had the same fears. I thought I would kick ass on third year rotations, and I did ok, but not great. I even only got a high pass on my first EM rotation at my home institution. I thought I was screwed. I took step II early and did well with a 240. I applied to 30 programs and got interview offers from 18-19. I kicked ass on my second EM rotation(a well-regarded program) and loved it there. I ended up matching there and life is great...as great as an intern's can be anyways.

Bottom line-Just work hard your third year, be enthusiastic and do your best. Just like all the other great posters have said EM is a field that likes hard-working, enthusiastic people and numbers aren't everything.

I hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.

vmed said:
Yes, I am going to medical school in the US and did my undergraduate here as well. I have considered General Surgery also but that may be even harder to get in.

Relax, american grads get into EM unless they have major academic or interpersonal problems. See the two threads that I just bumped: probability of first choice in match and 2006 match stats.

boo2 said:
Have no fear....I got a 205 on Step 1 and had the same fears. I thought I would kick ass on third year rotations, and I did ok, but not great. I even only got a high pass on my first EM rotation at my home institution. I thought I was screwed. I took step II early and did well with a 240. I applied to 30 programs and got interview offers from 18-19. I kicked ass on my second EM rotation(a well-regarded program) and loved it there. I ended up matching there and life is great...as great as an intern's can be anyways.

Bottom line-Just work hard your third year, be enthusiastic and do your best. Just like all the other great posters have said EM is a field that likes hard-working, enthusiastic people and numbers aren't everything.

I hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.
Thanks for keeping hope alive. I got a 210, am little dissappointed but hopefully can do well in clinical rotations and step 2 in order to still match with EM.