Step 1 224 and now 204 on Step 2, doomed for Anesthesia???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOcterMann

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well this is my first post. Normally I try to stay away from SDN as it tends to freak me out more than anything but this time I feel so doomed that I am actually crawling back towards it. So the story is that I have been die hard Anesthesia for the past couple of years and especially once I had a few rotations in it under my belt. I did fine (but not amazing) on Step 1 at 224 and studied in a very similar way and felt equally as prepared for Step 2. I even felt confident walking out of prometric. However, I just got my result and it was an abysmal 204 :eek:. I laughed at my friend when he actually seemed concerned about the new increase in passing score, thinking it would never apply to us. However, that was obviously not the case since I nearly failed. Now, as application deadlines are fast approaching, I am at a crossroads. I have no desire to enter in the running for any other specialty, but do I even have a choice??? Am I out of the running (as a DO student) for a Anesthesia spot with a 224/204??? I am willing to apply to as many programs as needed to up my chances...:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Charting Outcomes of the Match shows that the average Step 2 score was in the 230s. The average Step 2 score for unmatched applicants was 209. This doesn't mean that you'll automatically not match. Your Step 1 score is about average for matched applicants.

I would post this over in the Anesthesiology forum, and see what they all have to say about your chances. Let them know what your grades/evaluations/extracurriculars/research/LORs look like as well. I think they will give you a much better idea than those here.

Well this is my first post. Normally I try to stay away from SDN as it tends to freak me out more than anything but this time I feel so doomed that I am actually crawling back towards it. So the story is that I have been die hard Anesthesia for the past couple of years and especially once I had a few rotations in it under my belt. I did fine (but not amazing) on Step 1 at 224 and studied in a very similar way and felt equally as prepared for Step 2. I even felt confident walking out of prometric. However, I just got my result and it was an abysmal 204 :eek:. I laughed at my friend when he actually seemed concerned about the new increase in passing score, thinking it would never apply to us. However, that was obviously not the case since I nearly failed. Now, as application deadlines are fast approaching, I am at a crossroads. I have no desire to enter in the running for any other specialty, but do I even have a choice??? Am I out of the running (as a DO student) for a Anesthesia spot with a 224/204??? I am willing to apply to as many programs as needed to up my chances...:scared:

I guess the reality will be who you know at this point. If you made good enough contacts on the rotation and they like you maybe they'll be able to get you in. Nonetheless I'm sure you're aware that anesthesia is one of the... let us say... upper-middle-tier specialties in terms of competitiveness.

Might I ask if you had a justification for your feeling of preparedness? Did you take any practice tests etc to affirm your position?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would post this over in the Anesthesiology forum, and see what they all have to say about your chances. Let them know what your grades/evaluations/extracurriculars/research/LORs look like as well. I think they will give you a much better idea than those here.

Yeah good luck with that... you'll probably get your head chopped off for being the next "what are my chances" post. Then you'll get the pragmatist who will tell you to "go out there, and build you're network, make connections, and who knows maybe you'll sneak in the back door" followed by the bleeding heart "don't worry, I know if it's really your dream you'll be able to do, no matter what!!!"

Apply broadly. Extremely. Hope that your letters say some pretty solid stuff about you.

If you get interviews, don't make up excuses for your CK score. Be honest.

Can't say it's impossible, but it will certainly be an uphill battle.

DocterMann- So how did things go for you? Did you happen to get any interviews?