STEP 1 Anatomy/Embryology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shigaT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 5 days until test day and things are coming together except that alot of the Q-bank anatomy questions are kicking my ass. I've only used Kaplan and First-Aid to study from.

For those of you who have taken the test - is First-Aid good enough for anatomy/embryo? If not - is there a book I can cram with?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I took Step 1 today :clap: and had very little of either anatomy or embryo. I can only remember 2 embryo questions, both of which were covered in First Aid, and maybe 10-15 anatomy (at the MOST). Some of them were pretty random, so you wouldn't necessarily see that stuff in FA, but I wouldn't recommend going through HY Gross Anatomy right now either. Of course, everyone's test is different, but I haven't heard many people complaining about anatomy questions. I would really focus on knowing your graphs (phys and path) and review some behavioral science. There were some CTs and MRIs on my exam that I had some trouble with, but that's a big weak point of mine. If you're at all familiar with them, I doubt you'd have a problem. If not, you may want to glance through an atlas, or at least the pics in HY Neuroanatomy.

I agree. If it's not in First Aid, just take your best guess--I had a few pseudo-anatomy questions that wouldn't be in any review text for anatomy. In fact, I still have no clue to what the answer would be, and have no desire to dig Harrison's out and look for it. Much of the other, non-esoteric questions bordered on the are you really a medical student? (Stuff like do you know what side of the body the spleen is on? Duh...I hope :)

ALL of my anatomy questions were general. One of them had this bizarre answer choice (a question in the abdomen and one of the answer choices referred to a neuro structure!).

As far as embryology is concerned, the big things seem to be cardiovascular and renal development, and all the arch derivatives, pharyngeal pouches, clefts, etc. Know those because I had one direct question that asked which pharyngeal pouch/cleft it came from.

Members don't see this ad :)
Deffinately do the branchial derivatives, and cardiac/circulatory embryo. And for anatomy, I'd make sure and study the specific nerve's that have characteristic things when they are damaged. For example - Midshaft humerus fracture leads to radial nerve damage, leading to wrist drop. Or common peroneal and foot drop. They love questions on stuff like that. Also, cross-sectional anatomy seems to be a new favorite. Most of the stuff you need is in First Aid. If you're running low on time, study path/phys or behavioral, they are more important. Good Luck, you'll feel soooo good when it's over!

most of the anatomy on step one was very cut-and-dry. i did have a abdominal cross-section where you had to identify the organ based on the pathology/scenario given (liver v. spleen v. kidney).

embryo: i agree with the above: know your arches and your ASD/VSD/PDA's in terms of a clinical context (what does the murmur sound like, age range, etc.)--read those cases in UCV pathophys. to refresh. i also had at least 2 bizarre embryo questions, one of which was molecular biology-oriented. go fig.
-s.

Just took step 1 today :clap:

Very weird...Got embryo Q's on pulm hypoplasia, duodenal atresia, ASD, PFO, and 2 on Meckel's deverticulum. Anatomy covered some CT/MRI, mostly neuro anatomy, right lower quadrantanopia, Horner's syndrome, cranial nerves. Gross had a pelvic CT, CT of skull for max sinus, HIATAL hernia...damage to THORACODORSAL nerve!!!!

I had ZERO questions on histo, branchial arches, neural crest cells, brachial plexus or lower limb, femoral/inguinal hernias. A very atypical experience. I think the subjects most-represented on mine were immuno, micro, behavioral science, physio, pharm, path, biochem. Alot more genetics and less path than I expected. Well, at least it's over! YIPPEEEE :clap:

mdph2b

hi mdphd2b,
how was molecular biolgy and immunology questions, were there lot of calculations to you.
is kaplan enough for immunology.
about neuroanat-what do we have to know in detail.
goodluck.