step 1 equations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slim

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what equations do we have to memorize for step1? let's get a list going. thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

slim said:
what equations do we have to memorize for step1? let's get a list going. thanks everyone!

Wow came on to ask a similar question...

Is the list at the back of First Aid comprehensive? I've noticed that it doesn't include some that I think might be necessary--should I memorize these as well?

Example: Calculating osmotic pressure, Nernst equation, etc.

Maintenance dose = Vd*Css*k
Loading dose = Vd*Css
Clearance = Vd*k

Clearance = Ux*V/Px

TBW = BW*0.6

expected PCO2 = 1.5(HCO3-) + 8 +/- 2

A - a = PAO2 - PaO2.

PAO2 = PiO2 - PCO2/0.8

Ca correction = Ca + (4 - alb)*0.8

Off the top of my head. I dare them to make me memorize more equations :mad:

idq1i said:
Maintenance dose = Vd*Css*k
Loading dose = Vd*Css
Clearance = Vd*k

Clearance = Ux*V/Px

TBW = BW*0.6

expected PCO2 = 1.5(HCO3-) + 8 +/- 2

A - a = PAO2 - PaO2.

PAO2 = PiO2 - PCO2/0.8

Ca correction = Ca + (4 - alb)*0.8

Off the top of my head. I dare them to make me memorize more equations :mad:

I don't think Form 1 of CBSSA had any.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSBMed1 said:
Example: Calculating osmotic pressure, Nernst equation, etc.

Calculating Nernst! Are you kidding me? Learn the concept. I had it on my CBSE.

HiddenTruth said:
Calculating Nernst! Are you kidding me? Learn the concept. I had it on my CBSE.

Dude, I was using that as an example. I "learned" that concept back in college... :rolleyes:

How many equations, other than the ones in the back of first aid, do we need to know? All the ones in BRS, or what?

Is that clear enough for you? :thumbdown:

UCSBMed1 said:
Dude, I was using that as an example. I "learned" that concept back in college... :rolleyes:

How many equations, other than the ones in the back of first aid, do we need to know? All the ones in BRS, or what?

Is that clear enough for you? :thumbdown:

Sorry, I was being more sarcasting than anything else. But, do you honestly think someone can tell you exactly how many equations, and which ones are going to be tested? Everyone gets such a varied exam. While, one person will post, "to know just what's in FA", someone else may have gotten something else. It's a luck of the draw. I am just going to try and learn whatever I can.

People, however, may be able to point out, the emphasis of this area on the test--f there happens to be a general consensus.