Step 1 for Top tier IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted600623

Anyone know where I might be able to find out what the average step 1 score is for top tier IM programs in general. Progams I’m interested in are Mayo, Emory, Vanderbilt. I will be at UWash for med school so I have my home program as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know where I might be able to find out what the average step 1 score is for top tier IM programs in general. Progams I’m interested in are Mayo, Emory, Vanderbilt. I will be at UWash for med school so I have my home program as well.

Interested to hear too. I'm interested in Northwestern and University of Chicago.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're at UWash? >220. The less prestigious your school the higher your step 1 has to be.

Reactions: 3 users
Nobody really knows. Also Step2 is very important for IM as well. For top 10 programs....my guess would be averages in the 240s..with some residents from "lower" tier schools with 250s...and some 230s from top 25 schools. Keep in mind these scores are only one part of the application...nobody matches based solely on board scores. Also FREIDA is unreliable..there is no resource that is useful for this type of information outside of the program itself (some programs state what their resident average hovers around). Apparently the AAMC has been working on a tool that is supposed to have avg scores for programs..but I have no idea when it is expected to come out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
frieda only gives blocks iirc. and it cuts off at 245
Which should tell you approximately what you need? There isn’t some magic score that automatically gets you in

Which should tell you approximately what you need? There isn’t some magic score that automatically gets you in

For something like nsg, it is helpful to know 260 vs 245 since every program lives in that range.

For something like nsg, it is helpful to know 260 vs 245 since every program lives in that range.
Sure, but nsg is vastly different than IM. It comes down to just busting as hard as you can and reaping the benefits

You're probably looking at mid-240s at a minimum. Keep in mind according to charting outcomes 18% of allopathic IM applicants scored >250 on Step 1. The top echelon of IM is surgical subspecialty-level competitive.

The people from my med school who ended up at these programs were all near the top of the class.

Reactions: 3 users
FREIDA is trash. I went to the programs website and they stated their average step 1 was 230. I went to their FREIDA page and it said "average step 1 >245"

Reactions: 2 users
Those aren't really top tier programs, maybe upper tier. I'd feel confident with 240+.

If you're interested in top-tier IM shoot for at least a 240, and make sure you throw some research into that CV. Understand that there is a somewhat inverse relationship between school rank and Step-1 score needed for interview, applicants from T-20 schools have much more wiggle room in terms of grades.

Freida is useless, aside from finding out what programs exist and where.

Mayo, Emory and Vanderbilt are strong programs, but not top tier. Whether you get those type of interviews is going to depend on Step 1 in the context of the rest of your application (class rank, clinical grades, step 2, research). I don't think cutoffs are as big of a deal as med students make them out to be, especially if you come from a name brand school.

But, since you probably just want a number I'll say 240

Freida is useless, aside from finding out what programs exist and where.

Mayo, Emory and Vanderbilt are strong programs, but not top tier. Whether you get those type of interviews is going to depend on Step 1 in the context of the rest of your application (class rank, clinical grades, step 2, research). I don't think cutoffs are as big of a deal as med students make them out to be, especially if you come from a name brand school.

But, since you probably just want a number I'll say 240

237 is what I've been hearing.