MD & DO Step 1 -How concerned should I be over my Qbank scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfootisreal

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
4 months out from Step 1 and I am doing USMLErx and some Kaplan questions everyday alongside my anki. I have been scoring 60-70 on USMLErx and 70+ on Kaplan. I usually make cards off of topics I miss or things topics I want to frequently review. How concerned should I be? I just want a solid step score that won't close too many doors for me. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same position you are OP, with similar scores on Rx and similar goals for STEP 1.

Honestly, I get worked up about it every few days, but I think it really is pointless at this time.

No matter what your scores on practice are now, it is unlikely that we are going to be able to predict how they will be going into dedicated, in the middle of dedicated, and then come test day. There are just too many variables.

Rx publishes an equation that allows you to predict your USMLE score based on your Qbank average. You could try looking at that, or maybe take an NBME if you are really gung-ho.

I think the things we can do to maximize our chances of success are holding onto the things we already know and identifying weakpoints early so there are no surprises come dedicated.

Good luck, keep grinding.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! This was very encouraging. I agree there are so many variables that go into it and at this point it probably is just best to consistently go over the areas that may be weak. Here's to excessive stress, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
the fact that you are finding time to do RX and Kaplan means youre already ahead of the game. Most of us are still drowning trying to digest the material. Especially with anki and class to balance.

It’s totally fine. I got very worked up about it too but the trick is to just check your ego at the door. You wouldn’t need practice questions if you knew everything, right? You get it wrong now so you don’t get it wrong on the real deal.

I feel like Rx really shattered my confidence bc you look on here and reddit and everyone talks about how easy it is. Yeah right!

I would just recommend that if it’s not specifically in FA/Zanki or BnB then don’t bother with it. You may want to start easing in uworld soon too since your 4 months out. Maybe in a couple weeks.

It’s totally fine. I got very worked up about it too but the trick is to just check your ego at the door. You wouldn’t need practice questions if you knew everything, right? You get it wrong now so you don’t get it wrong on the real deal.

I feel like Rx really shattered my confidence bc you look on here and reddit and everyone talks about how easy it is. Yeah right!

I would just recommend that if it’s not specifically in FA/Zanki or BnB then don’t bother with it. You may want to start easing in uworld soon too since your 4 months out. Maybe in a couple weeks.

How far out do you recommend starting UW? I was under the impression that I would tackle it during dedicated when I have formally been through all the material at least once.

How far out do you recommend starting UW? I was under the impression that I would tackle it during dedicated when I have formally been through all the material at least once.
And that’s really good for protecting your self esteem, which is a trap I fell into as well. Again, this about improving your understanding of basic medical science. Your ego has nothing to do with it. In third year, getting owned by practice questions is how you do it, so get used to it.

The explanations in uworld are extremely good. With the exception of maybe biochem and embryo, there’s not likely much you can’t learn from the explanations alone. I was personally very weak in cardio and had to slow down/stop uworld to hammer down that stuff with BnB. Same with stats. So my pace wasn’t as fast as I’d hoped.

I’d start at 3 months out personally just for the extra cushion. But you gotta do what makes you comfortable.

Just do the questions, worry about scores later, I was getting low 70s on Rx and Kaplan before switching to UWorld for dedicated. My scores progressively went up and I finished UWorld about 85% and scored a 263 on step. Youre in a great spot. I would aim to start UWorld with enough that you can finish all of the questions + a pass of wrongs. So maybe try to knock out 500 before dedicated starts starting 2-3 weeks before dedicated. I am of the mindset that more different questions = better results. So dont switch too soon that you waste Kaplan/Rx.

The total number of practice questions you've done correlates better to your Step 1 score than does your score on the practice questions. Plus, your score on UWorld correlates to step score more than scores on Kaplan and Rx.

If you get through a pass + incorrects on UWorld you will do quite well on step. Everything leading up to dedicated is just to give you a strong foundation upon which to complete UWorld.