Step 1: how many review books per subject?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osumc2014

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I find 1 solid book per subject, is that enough? or do people often study with multiple books per subject?

Members don't see this ad.

First Aid
Goljan Path
BRS Phys
USMLE World

That's all you need. Memorize Goljan and you'll do very well.

One book per subject is more than fine, and even too much. An anatomy book is pointless. FA is enough for biochem and embryology imo,etc etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
First Aid, Rapid Review Path, and as many practice questions as you can get your hands aon are all you need. FA has just about every fact you need to memorize, Goljian gives you the conceptional framework, and the questions will take care of filling in the random trivia...

I was just wondering when the best time to get each of these books is? I would like to get the latest editions. I've already purchased first aid but was wondering when you start using certain books? Ie physiology in first year? Pathology in second year? Microbiology in first year, etc

I was just wondering when the best time to get each of these books is? I would like to get the latest editions. I've already purchased first aid but was wondering when you start using certain books? Ie physiology in first year? Pathology in second year? Microbiology in first year, etc
when you have the courses, yeah.

new First Aids come out in December/January

First Aid and Uworld are the only essential study materials IMO.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Only get another resource if you find you are extra weak in a subject or need more detailed explanations.

FA is awesome if you have had the material before...if there are subjects that your courses covered or you are still weak in after learning FA, then its time to get another resource.

P.S.: I bought high yield for embryo and immuno (my perceived weak spots) and barely used either...only heart embryo because I missed the lectures in class

Just as reminder, there is a plethora of good information in the Step 1 forum on this website. Good discussion about various qbanks, single source Step 1 resources, etc.

With hardcore studying and correct selection, one book per subject will give you a very nice shot at 250+.

After years of experience, I think it's quite well established that which book is the best one for a specific subject. Just search the forum and you will find the answers.

ideally 1. if you need multiple books to review one subject, you should reconsider your books.