Step 1 in 4 days and haven't finished Uworld. Study strategies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chajjohnson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I've had 6 weeks for Step 1 study and have the test this saturday. I've studied extremely slowly, and finished one pass of FA and pathoma in 5 weeks, and done about 40% of UW at this point. I gotta say I feel really unprepared, but my UW average is 80% on timed tutor and I took NBME 18 a few days ago and got a 260. Am I freaking out over nothing? I realize those scores on practice stuff are pretty good, but I'm worried my Step 1 could be on the 60% of UW stuff I haven't covered yet. I would be totally happy with anything over 240, but I'm just not sure how well the UW and NBMEs will actually correlate with the test.

Should I just focus on plowing through as much UW as possible, or go back to FA and study some things I think I'm forgetting/cram some stuff like biochem or pharm? I feel like I've forgotten a lot of things so far, but everyone says UW is by far the most important thing to be doing so I'm not sure how to focus my last few days.

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, nice score on 18! That's definitely a good sign. Before giving advice, I've gotta ask: how well do you know the info in FA? Would you say you're pretty confident that you know all of the systems-material? If so, then I say continue on with UWorld and continue to go back through the chapters of FA that are a little more shaky: things like micro, pharm, biochem, etc. (not sure if they're shaky for you, but they are for me) In my opinion, UWorld is gold and will help solidify the concepts you know by testing your application and critical thinking of those concepts.

When you're making that kind of a score, ignore what everyone else says and do what works for you. I have a friend that made a 270+ that only finished 25% of uworld. What he did wouldn't work for 99% of us, but if you can get those scores without doing much Uworld, keep doing what youre doing and don't worry too much about uworld