step 1 qs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeVyne

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi..im preparing for the usmle step 1, i have a lot of time i think since im taking the exam hopefully within the next 6 months or maximum one year;however i havent been very good and i need to re-study almost everything. Could you please tell me what are the most important subjects i need to study and what are the subjects covered on the step 1? and if all the questions are clinical.. thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

the most important subjects: path, physio, pathophysio, pharm, micro/immuno, biochem, behavioral science

but, you need to study everything, as you never know what will be emphasized on your specific exam. i reccomend that you buy first aid for step 1 and use that as a study guide. learn everything in that book, and use it as a reference for the type of material you will NEED to know. also, to see the types of question, use kaplan q-bank. if you know everything in first aid and kaplan, and do well on those topice, you are in decent shape.

all the questions are not clinical, but most are.

good luck

all the questions are not clinical, but most are

that's just plain wrong. none of the questions are clinical, though some are "clinical vignettes." zero clinical exposure is necessary; in fact, such exposure may hurt your score.

Members don't see this ad :)
i do mean clinical vignettes and most are. just took the exam, and the majority were phrased in a clinical situation.

not plain wrong, accurate. look at the qbank questions and the sample questions for an accurate estimate of what the exam will look like.

i agree that you don't need clinical experience to do the test, and that it is more a basic science test. take it before clinicals.

Thanx a lot :) My main problem is, my dad wants me to do my internship though he knows they dont accept any internships in the states and that i will have to do it again anyway, but he says it will help me study better for the exam, but i disagree because i spend 8 hours in the hospital and starting next week ill be on call at nights! now how is it possible to study for the usmle and lead a normal life at the same time? i dont want to be studying 24 hours a day! so tell me, will it really help if i did my internship or does clinical exposure really 'hurt' my performance? please help, i need to talk some sense into my dad! and is studying 4-5 hours a day enough if im planning on taking the exam within the next 6-8 months? keep in mind that i did my basic sciences 5 years ago!

Sit down, find a quite spot and hit the books for a few weeks.

The deal with STEP 1 is that is applying basic science knowledge to clinical situations. It's more to see if you know the theory, and recognize the syndromes, ect. There is not a whole lot about what the treatment is, that comes later on STEP 2, and 3.

What I would do is get something with a diagnostic test in it-see what you don't know, then design a study outline. I used the Board Simulator Series, but Kaplan Q bank also will do this-maybe more $, but less time then the paper and pencil method.

Good luck-
B

kind of off topic but does anyone know if we get to use scratch paper when taking step 1?

You get to use a few laminated sheets of paper and dry erase marker-

Good luck
B

I agree that First Aid is essential. I also used Kaplan review books. They are excellent for reviewing material before the boards. In fact, I have a set if anyone is interested.