Step 1 Result - my correlation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
finally received my scores back, and since i promised to give out my correlations, here they go. my step 1 238/96

NBME practice exams - 500/520 - predicted a little lower than actual score, which seemed to be the trend from previous posts

Qbank - 70% overall, no repeats

BSS - anywhere from 50-80%, dont use BSS questions as a predictor period! i think the questions are the best though to study from.

NBME comprehensive shelf - 78 - ended up being the best overall predictor if the average is set at 70 with a 7-8 s.d.

MCAT - so low i'm embarrased to post it here, so the people who rely on that for medical school success can bite me. i still dont know what ochem and physics have to do with medical school, alright off my soap box

as far as my study sources i posted it about a month ago, but i would be more than happy to answer any more questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent post. You've probably seen my previous posting. My q-bank avg. is about 55% but I started really low (40's) and now I'm doing 65%+, with 45% to go. I score about 40-60% on BSS, 55-65%, NMS, but I've only managed 60% on the released items CD (2 blocks), which really sucks! And people say those are EASIER! I've got 30 days. I'm doing NBME next week to get an idea. Any input appreciated, and congrats on a great score.

Originally posted by Cristagali
Excellent post. You've probably seen my previous posting. My q-bank avg. is about 55% but I started really low (40's) and now I'm doing 65%+, with 45% to go. I score about 40-60% on BSS, 55-65%, NMS, but I've only managed 60% on the released items CD (2 blocks), which really sucks! And people say those are EASIER! I've got 30 days. I'm doing NBME next week to get an idea. Any input appreciated, and congrats on a great score.

with a 65% current qbank score i would say you are in the safe area of passing, but keep trying to improve your weak areas so you're completely confident going into the exam. in my opinion, confidence is the 2nd most important key to this test 2nd to knowing pathophys:D . goodluck in your studies, and on that animal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey MCG. Congrats on a job well done! I was just curious to know when you took the NBME comprehensive shelf and NBME practice exams relative to step 1? Did you take them a week before, or 3 months before? Just curious to hear. Thanks and congrats again.

thanks babinski bob, blade, and cristagali. i took the NBME comp when i finished my basic sciences, which was 2.5 mo before i took the exam. i took the two online exams 2 and 1 mo before my exam. honestly though, if i was to take the online tests again, i'm sure i would get similar scores, because it seems like the real board questions are so broad that all the studying in the world wouldnt improve your chances on some of them.

Where do you access the NBME practice questions? I went to the site online and saw the $45 fee for 200 questions, is this the same thing that you guys are referring to? Do you take these online immediately when you sign up? or are there more questions too? Sorry, I'm not familiar with these questions, so any info would help.