step 1 score 247… where does this put me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I just got my step 1 score today. I'm interested in several surgical subspecialties, but am wondering in terms of urology, is it reasonable to say that I have a decent chance at matching with this score? I go to a mid-tier H/P/F school: first two years were mostly P's with a few H's. Jumped onto two research projects last summer, both of which fizzled :inpain: Obviously, much of my story is yet unwritten, and of course I plan to work my tail off on rotations. I'm just curious if my score leaves the doors open at decent urology programs… and how about top-tier programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I am also very interested in everyone's opinions on this, especially considering that the average step 1 score again increased to 228 this year. So, what's a competitive score for uro these days? Are test scores one of the most important pieces of your application?

I am also interested in any advice about how to match into urology. The excel spread sheet on urologymatch.com showed that the average step 1 was 247 with, I think, around 150 responders who matched. True average is probably ~245, which is pretty darn high. I have heard that it has gotten really competitive, but I am not sure how it rates relative to ortho, ENT, derm etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
upload_2014-7-26_13-2-45.png

That graph shows that step 1 doesn't help you out too much past 211? Wow. Pretty much 50/50 after then. Am I reading this right?

I am also interested in any advice about how to match into urology. The excel spread sheet on urologymatch.com showed that the average step 1 was 247 with, I think, around 150 responders who matched. True average is probably ~245, which is pretty darn high. I have heard that it has gotten really competitive, but I am not sure how it rates relative to ortho, ENT, derm etc.
Take this for what it's worth, but I was told by our PD that out of all specialties, Integrated Plastics was most competitive (as always,) Ortho was #2, Urology was #3, ENT was a close #4 and Derm was #5. Competitiveness was measured by match rate for US Seniors. I have not taken any time to verify these claims, which is why I said to take it for what it's worth.

How do people match with a step 1 of 191-200? Theres always a few of these in the most competitive specialties.

How do people match with a step 1 of 191-200? Theres always a few of these in the most competitive specialties.

- Amazing research background + right connections.
- Daddy is the chairman.

Take this for what it's worth, but I was told by our PD that out of all specialties, Integrated Plastics was most competitive (as always,) Ortho was #2, Urology was #3, ENT was a close #4 and Derm was #5. Competitiveness was measured by match rate for US Seniors. I have not taken any time to verify these claims, which is why I said to take it for what it's worth.
The competitiveness ranking above may be true but definitely not measured by match rate for US seniors. Here are the 2014 match rates for US seniors applying to specialties commonly regarded as competitive:
vascular surgery 89%
neurosurgery 79%
derm 76%
ortho 77%
ENT 75%
plastics 71%
ophthalmology 91%
urology 68%

Sources: NRMP Charting Outcomes 2014, SFMatch website, and AUA website

I think the different degrees of selection bias among these specialties make match rate not a very accurate measure for competitiveness.

The competitiveness ranking above may be true but definitely not measured by match rate for US seniors. Here are the 2014 match rates for US seniors applying to specialties commonly regarded as competitive:
vascular surgery 89%
neurosurgery 79%
derm 76%
ortho 77%
ENT 75%
plastics 71%
ophthalmology 91%
urology 68%

Sources: NRMP Charting Outcomes 2014, SFMatch website, and AUA website

I think the different degrees of selection bias among these specialties make match rate not a very accurate measure for competitiveness.

FWIW the ophtho match rate is not 91%. That number on SFMatch indicates 91% of those who matched were US seniors, with the remaining 9% being US grads + IMGs. Overall match rate is 75%, but no breakdown by sub-group.

Ah, that makes sense. 91% match rate for ophtho is too good to be true. So the match rate for US seniors is probably in the 78-80% range.
I think the low urology match rate is likely due to the fact that it's not as well advertised as a super competitive specialty. When words eventually get around, it will probably rise to similar level as ortho and ENT.