step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsdevi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
i am an img from india. i have got a poor score in step1-82/200. i am just entering my final year & i will be taking my next step only after an year or so. will i get a residency if i improve my step2 score? what programs other than internal medicine will i be likely to be offered if i raise my step2 score to more than 90? please help me.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I wouldn't call your Step 1 score "poor," but it would certainly be to your advantage to score as high as you possibly can on Step 2. Assuming you do score well on Step 2 (maybe even if you score about the same as your Step 1), I'd say you have quite a few options other than IM. From least to most competitive (ie. from easiest to hardest for you to get), I'd say you could go for:

FP
Psych
Path
Anesthesia (tough to predict how it'll look 1-2 years from now though)
Gen Surg ( " )

Good luck to you :).

Good advice, for sure. One other specialty (or "speciality", as desis like to say:) ) is PM&R, aka "physical medicine and rehabilitation", or "rehab med" for short. Lots of FMGs have jumped into this field over the past five years. In fact, there have been some years in which a majority of new residents in the field were FMGs.

In private practise (I'll spell things the British way since you're Indian) rehab docs can make $400k/yr, but hospital-based ones make about $140k, which can still buy you a lot samosas. (Sorry, I hope this doesn't sound condescending. I love Indian food and Indian culture. "Some of my best friends are Indian.")

Salaries vary greatly by region, as you know. The average PM&R doctor in Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas makes over $200k/yr, while those in California are lucky to top $120k. Location, location, location, yaar.

Rehab docs have a much better lifestyle than those in Eternal Medicine. No call, no weekends, no late nights. Plus, the residency is a joke. I have a friend in rehab medicine in Chicago who never took call after his intern year. He works about 45 hrs/wk AS A RESIDENT!

Good luck, IMG Sahib. I don't know if girls like Ash Rai go for rehab docs, but I'm sure you'll still be happy. Remember, for every Ash there are five Karishma Kapoors.

Originally posted by Hornet871
One other specialty (or "speciality", as desis like to say:) ) is PM&R

In private practise (I'll spell things the British way since you're Indian) rehab docs can make $400k/yr, but hospital-based ones make about $140k, which can still buy you a lot samosas.

Location, location, location, yaar.

Rehab docs have a much better lifestyle than those in Eternal Medicine.

Good luck, IMG Sahib. I don't know if girls like Ash Rai go for rehab docs, but I'm sure you'll still be happy. Remember, for every Ash there are five Karishma Kapoors.

:clap: :laugh: :clap: :laugh: :clap:
I now proclaim Hornet871... by virtue of his extensive knowledge of the Indian language, culinary speciaties, famous actresses, and colloquial slang... an Honorary Desi ...

hi guys,
that sounds really promising.thanks. it seems that you know more about indian samosas & actresses than me.:)