Step 1 study starting after winter break

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sliceofbread136

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, my plan is to start studying a couple of hours a day (when possible) after I get back from my winter break vacation.

I'm little lost as to what I should do with that study time though, could anyone point me in the right direction?

Members don't see this ad.

Focus on your classes
Maybe read some books like how the immune system works
Do usmlerx
Watch pathoma
Listen to goljan audio in your car

Reactions: 1 users
How are you doing in classes? Generally honoring? That is key to determining how you should approach the rest of the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you doing in classes? Generally honoring? That is key to determining how you should approach the rest of the year.

I've been getting pretty much all A's in my classes and I feel like I've got a good grip on how to do well on my ms2 tests.

I am also currently a videogame addict and regularly play 4ish hours a day. Hoping to quit cold turkey and devote that to step study time, so my time spent on my classes should be roughly the same.

Focus on your classes
Maybe read some books like how the immune system works
Do usmlerx
Watch pathoma
Listen to goljan audio in your car

I definitely plan to incorporate all of these into my studying.

Is it acceptable to just read the pathoma book, or should you watch it to? I am generally not an auditory learner.

Thanks!

I definitely plan to incorporate all of these into my studying.

Is it acceptable to just read the pathoma book, or should you watch it to? I am generally not an auditory learner.

Thanks!

I'd recommend watching the videos. He makes drawings and includes explanations that don't make it into the text.

Reactions: 3 users
As I am passionate about becoming a neonatologist because of helping the neonates, I will also like to know the salary.

BOSS as ****! Read this and legit LOL'ed for a minute straight hahahaha thanks BOSSMAN!

BOSS as ****! Read this and legit LOL'ed for a minute straight hahahaha thanks BOSSMAN!

*Ahem*

What in the world are you doing posting that in this thread? He didn't even post that in this.

Reactions: 1 user
*Ahem*

What in the world are you doing posting that in this thread? He didn't even post that in this.

It's his signature and I found it funny. My apologies for making a post on a forum.

I am also currently a videogame addict and regularly play 4ish hours a day.

:eek: Wish I could pull that off while still functioning in med school.

Any post that calls someone "BOSSMAN" is 10/10 in my book

If anything I'd focus on reviewing M1 material. That'll save you some time in your dedicated studying such that it can truly be review rather than relearning the material. You'll probably be relatively fresh on the M2 stuff, so unless you feel particularly weak in something I'm not sure that would be of much value to you.

It's his signature and I found it funny. My apologies for making a post on a forum.

Fair enough. I'm using the app so I don't see sigs. Thought you were just trolling pretty hard lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anything I'd focus on reviewing M1 material. That'll save you some time in your dedicated studying such that it can truly be review rather than relearning the material. You'll probably be relatively fresh on the M2 stuff, so unless you feel particularly weak in something I'm not sure that would be of much value to you.

This. Get first aid and go through the M1 sections - biochem, genetics, micro etc. Otherwise focus on your organ systems and watch pathoma.

You're doing well in your classes so you clearly have some understanding of the material and a nice foundation from which to build. At the mid-year point, I would focus on:

1) Integration -- this is key and where Goljian and Pathoma are great. Integrating across subjects is huge for Step 1 and something you probably haven't done as much of in your classes since professors usually write their own questions which generally cover their own lectures. Pathoma is stronger for path (use videos > book), but Goljian does more integrations across disciplines. Goljian also helps you learn how to think. I just took Step 2 CK today and I swear I'm still getting some questions right because I hear his voice in my head helping me think through it.

2) Weaknesses - if you have any areas of weakness, this is a great time to fix them. Maybe you zoned out during some part of M1 and crammed some organ system or subject that now you've forgotten. Use whatever resource you like to brush up these areas of weakness.

3) Practice questions. This ties in with #1 too. UWorld is far and away the best bank, but they all have their strengths. Part of the skill set you need to acquire is learning how to take these national board exams. There is definitely an art to it -- training your eyes and your brain to get through questions efficiently and accurately. Most people find themselves pretty pressed for time on Step 1 (I sure did!), so make sure you go in there able to work quickly. I definitely have a process for board questions, and it's evolved as the questions change (ie. step 2 questions require you to pay closer attention to different parts of the vignette than step 1). There's no right way, just find a way that works for you and practice it til you're a machine.

4) Stay caught up with classes -- remember that spring M2 is probably 25-33% of the material on the test, so make sure you're still learning new stuff while you review!

5) don't waste time memorizing crap you can memorize later. Stupid minutiae is what you memorize right before the exam. Like Niemann pick vs tay sach's - they look almost the same clinically but one has hepatomegaly -- stick this fact in your brain during dedicated time because it probably won't last from January to June.

6) Learn to think mechanistically -- Steps are all about mechanisms. They won't ask what enzyme is upregulated in sarcoid that causes hypercalcemia; they'll show you the CXR and ask you not only about whether Ca2+ is high/low, but also how it would affect levels of 25-OH Vit D (not 1,25!). They want you to think through the whole pathway and reason it out. You can prep for this by forcing yourself to learn and understand the mechanisms behind what you're learning. Keep asking "how?" and "why?" as you learn things.

Reactions: 6 users
You're doing well in your classes so you clearly have some understanding of the material and a nice foundation from which to build. At the mid-year point, I would focus on:

1) Integration -- this is key and where Goljian and Pathoma are great. Integrating across subjects is huge for Step 1 and something you probably haven't done as much of in your classes since professors usually write their own questions which generally cover their own lectures. Pathoma is stronger for path (use videos > book), but Goljian does more integrations across disciplines. Goljian also helps you learn how to think. I just took Step 2 CK today and I swear I'm still getting some questions right because I hear his voice in my head helping me think through it.

2) Weaknesses - if you have any areas of weakness, this is a great time to fix them. Maybe you zoned out during some part of M1 and crammed some organ system or subject that now you've forgotten. Use whatever resource you like to brush up these areas of weakness.

3) Practice questions. This ties in with #1 too. UWorld is far and away the best bank, but they all have their strengths. Part of the skill set you need to acquire is learning how to take these national board exams. There is definitely an art to it -- training your eyes and your brain to get through questions efficiently and accurately. Most people find themselves pretty pressed for time on Step 1 (I sure did!), so make sure you go in there able to work quickly. I definitely have a process for board questions, and it's evolved as the questions change (ie. step 2 questions require you to pay closer attention to different parts of the vignette than step 1). There's no right way, just find a way that works for you and practice it til you're a machine.

4) Stay caught up with classes -- remember that spring M2 is probably 25-33% of the material on the test, so make sure you're still learning new stuff while you review!

5) don't waste time memorizing crap you can memorize later. Stupid minutiae is what you memorize right before the exam. Like Niemann pick vs tay sach's - they look almost the same clinically but one has hepatomegaly -- stick this fact in your brain during dedicated time because it probably won't last from January to June.

6) Learn to think mechanistically -- Steps are all about mechanisms. They won't ask what enzyme is upregulated in sarcoid that causes hypercalcemia; they'll show you the CXR and ask you not only about whether Ca2+ is high/low, but also how it would affect levels of 25-OH Vit D (not 1,25!). They want you to think through the whole pathway and reason it out. You can prep for this by forcing yourself to learn and understand the mechanisms behind what you're learning. Keep asking "how?" and "why?" as you learn things.
I swear you should write your own board review book/app/audio to kick the pants out of First Aid.

I'm only an M1 and somehow I know this is great advice.

I'm only an M1 and somehow I know this is great advice.

I'm only a freshman in HS and somehow I know this is great advice.

Reactions: 2 users
I've thought about doing some kind of step 1 aid but I've never really figured out the niche I would fill that isn't already addressed by extremely good resources. I've thought about an audio on step one mechanisms that basically goes through all of FA and elucidates the mechanisms of all the drugs/conditions where possible and all the ways to test them. Goljian does this a lot as does pathoma - I would just do more of it.

The other thing I've thought about is a video on how to do questions. How to read them, what to look for, what to ignore, etc. I've thought about this tied in with a question writing tutorial. The nbme are amazing question writers. Yesterday during my step 2 I kept think how great the questions were, how they made me think and reason, etc. I've struggled a lot to write good McQs of my own so I really appreciate the elegance of the nbme questions, and writing my own really helps with reading and interpreting theirs.

Now if I could only find some free time!

I've thought about doing some kind of step 1 aid but I've never really figured out the niche I would fill that isn't already addressed by extremely good resources. I've thought about an audio on step one mechanisms that basically goes through all of FA and elucidates the mechanisms of all the drugs/conditions where possible and all the ways to test them. Goljian does this a lot as does pathoma - I would just do more of it.

The other thing I've thought about is a video on how to do questions. How to read them, what to look for, what to ignore, etc. I've thought about this tied in with a question writing tutorial. The nbme are amazing question writers. Yesterday during my step 2 I kept think how great the questions were, how they made me think and reason, etc. I've struggled a lot to write good McQs of my own so I really appreciate the elegance of the nbme questions, and writing my own really helps with reading and interpreting theirs.

i think that having multiple choice questions is a crutch because it doesn't force you to come up with your own differential
i think that's a big weakness i have because if someone explains something, i get it right away. but i struggle to come up with explanations for things before someone walks me through it
maybe it's part of being a third year med student
the information is all there somewhere, i just don't know how to access it properly

doing questions quickly doesn't help either because you barely have time to analyze the information instead of getting time to actually think about what's going on to write down what you think it might be in the order of likelihood
that's the strength of those clinical cases like clipp for peds

Last edited:
i think that having multiple choice questions is a crutch because it doesn't force you to come up with your own differential
i think that's a big weakness i have because if someone explains something, i get it right away. but i struggle to come up with explanations for things before someone walks me through it
the information is all there somewhere, i just don't know how to access it properly

doing questions quickly doesn't help either because you barely have time to analyze the information instead of getting time to actually think about what's going on to write down what you think it might be in the order of likelihood

Very true, though the NBME was published a lot about how they're trying hard to write MCQs that require to you to form and prioritize a DDx. I had many questions on my step 2 where all 10+ answer choices were plausible DDx for the H&P, or a "next step/test" question where you basically had to make your own DDx and then pick the best test of 5-10 good tests to make your diagnosis.

I think that not understanding is part of any learning process. Remember: all your attendings/residents are basically doing that job every day, maybe over decades. Their understanding has been built over time and is constantly being used in their work. You've been there for a few days and will leave within weeks to a whole different place and a whole new set of mechanisms and disease management to learn. There are also precious few faculty who can really teach well and truly understand the mechanisms themselves, so many students don't get exposed to it as much as they should.

Agree the clipp cases are great. The doing questions is half learning and half developing your test-taking skills. Yes, we all know how to take a MC test, but shelves and boards evolve as you go along and your approach needs to evolve too. I know my UWorld averages were abysmal at the start of third year until I started figuring out how to adapt to the differences between step 1 and step 2 questions.

I think part of the problem is that First Aid doesn't really go thru mechanisms. It's written in a very factoid like format. As much as how some people say how First Aid has everything, it's really not. You're not going to be quizzed about the tumor markers directly: What's the marker for pancreatic cancer? CA 19-9, for example. That's why I loved Goljan Rapid Review with his audios so much. He is able to explain WHY things happen the way they happen AND he make ties and interconnections between different basic science subjects that I normally would not have thought of myself - which are key to getting the 2-step, even 3-step type questions. Nearly everyone gets the 1-step questions. Much different than say, BRS Pathology which only does Pathology.

The NBME has a question writing manual and online webinar video on their website as well. I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned on SDN more often, as I would think medical students need to know how questions are formulated and asked, not just know the information. I think half the battle is getting used to and not having a panic attack when you see a clinical vignette bc your professors didn't bother to write exam questions in the USMLE style.

Multiple choice questions have an inherent flaw. They don't exactly reproduce the differential diagnosis process. With every multiple choice exam I took in medical school, I knew that even if I didn't know the fact exactly, I could use word association or other tricks to figure out the answer. On the Steps, those tricks don't work and they specifically write questions to make sure no tricks will work. You're not alone - I always felt guilty that I couldn't come up with the explanatory mechanism on my own - but had to have it spoon-fed to me, like Goljan. Eventually, you just put your ego aside esp. in third year

You do those CLIPP cases for Peds (they were part of our grade)!! We did too!! Also did U-Wise questions for the OB-Gyn shelf. I guess the NBME now has the Mastery Clinical Series for practice before your shelf (to extract even more money out of you).

Multiple choice questions have an inherent flaw. They don't exactly reproduce the differential diagnosis process. With every multiple choice exam I took in medical school, I knew that even if I didn't know the fact exactly, I could use word association or other tricks to figure out the answer. On the Steps, those tricks don't work and they specifically write questions to make sure no tricks will work. You're not alone - I always felt guilty that I couldn't come up with the explanatory mechanism on my own - but had to have it spoon-fed to me, like Goljan. Eventually, you just put your ego aside esp. in third year

You do those CLIPP cases for Peds (they were part of our grade)!! We did too!! Also did U-Wise questions for the OB-Gyn shelf. I guess the NBME now has the Mastery Clinical Series for practice before your shelf (to extract even more money out of you).

Isn't Pathoma > Goljan?

Don't worry he has others that compete for that honor.

lol the great Dermviser back at it lol

go read up on Derm instead of spending hours on this forum. I pray for the patient that has the misfortune of having you as his dermatologist

lol the great Dermviser back at it lol

go read up on Derm instead of spending hours on this forum. I pray for the patient that has the misfortune of having you as his dermatologist
Burnett's Law invoked! Congrats.

Isn't Pathoma > Goljan?

Absolutely not.

They're 2 different beasts.

Pathoma is basically a watered down high yield pathology review book (that's great for understanding basic concepts)

Goljan is a much more comprehensive and in depth pathology review book (that's the next best thing to reading Robbins)

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll take all this into account when I start studying.

For question banks I think I've heard it is best to save Uworld for your dedicated study time. Is this true? If so what is a good alternative to get started with?

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll take all this into account when I start studying.

For question banks I think I've heard it is best to save Uworld for your dedicated study time. Is this true? If so what is a good alternative to get started with?
I've heard USMLERx or Kaplan. Fair disclosure, I am a M2 though and just passing on advice I've gotten from older students.

I've been getting pretty much all A's in my classes and I feel like I've got a good grip on how to do well on my ms2 tests.

I am also currently a videogame addict and regularly play 4ish hours a day. Hoping to quit cold turkey and devote that to step study time, so my time spent on my classes should be roughly the same.
Keep doing what youre doing

Absolutely not.

They're 2 different beasts.

Pathoma is basically a watered down high yield pathology review book (that's great for understanding basic concepts)

Goljan is a much more comprehensive and in depth pathology review book (that's the next best thing to reading Robbins)

Thanks alpinism! Didn't know :) Appreciate it!

The saving UWorld adage is a myth. These same people then say to use UWorld all through third year for shelf exams and just reset it for step 2.

Use whichever bank is best for you personally to learn from. World is a great teaching bank. The others have strengths of their own that have been written about a lot here. I used Kaplan during the year because my percent corrects on world started close to 90% while they were 70% on Kaplan. Use the one you suck at most.

If you use world during the year and then get to dedicated prep time basically knowing the entire bank cold, then yes it won't help you learn much at that point. It also means you already know a crapload of highly tested material.

I wouldn't give up the video games completely, they might help you maintain stamina. I'd just scale back to 1 hr/day and see how that works. Odd point I know but as someone in a similar situation, taking my hobby out completely would slowly increase my rate of burnout.

Kaplan is garbage. I used it for a bit during M2, wouldn't recommend it.
That's bc many of their questions in that Qbank are based off of the Kaplan Lecture Notes which you get with their courses if you take them. It was ridiculous when I'd get like 3 Down Syndrome questions all in 1 block. I agree Kaplan Qbank is garbage, now that there are much better alternatives available now.

The saving UWorld adage is a myth. These same people then say to use UWorld all through third year for shelf exams and just reset it for step 2.

Use whichever bank is best for you personally to learn from. World is a great teaching bank. The others have strengths of their own that have been written about a lot here. I used Kaplan during the year because my percent corrects on world started close to 90% while they were 70% on Kaplan. Use the one you suck at most.

If you use world during the year and then get to dedicated prep time basically knowing the entire bank cold, then yes it won't help you learn much at that point. It also means you already know a crapload of highly tested material.
No, it's not. The reason you can't use USMLEWorld thru out M1/M2 is bc the questions are integrated and many cross different disciplines. It doesn't help to have a question that integrates Pathology and Behavioral Science, when you've had one but not the other. The exam is no longer 7 different separate sections each only testing its own specific discipline: http://pdfs.journals.lww.com/academ...iIYTCGiEX23hvUO;hash|jitaHePM+CR6MbekweygKw==

Yeah I guess if you had a subject-based curriculum it might be problematic, but then again most of the banks try to integrate across disciplines so that problem would apply to them too. We had a systems based so I don't think I ever saw a World question I couldn't answer because it required some subject we hadn't had yet.

Wow did it really used to be 7 individual subjects with one subject per block?! Man that would suck!

Yeah I guess if you had a subject-based curriculum it might be problematic, but then again most of the banks try to integrate across disciplines so that problem would apply to them too. We had a systems based so I don't think I ever saw a World question I couldn't answer because it required some subject we hadn't had yet.

Wow did it really used to be 7 individual subjects with one subject per block?! Man that would suck!
Not exactly. Apparently in the 1980s, it was called NBME Part I and there were 7 end-of-course final exams in Anatomy, Behavioral Science, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, and Physiology, which apparently mainly emphasized "recall of isolated facts". So pretty much you could ace the exam by being Rainman.

Funny how in 1991, the mean score was 200, the standard deviation was 20, and a passing score was 176.

Not exactly. Apparently in the 1980s, it was called NBME Part I and there were 7 end-of-course final exams in Anatomy, Behavioral Science, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, and Physiology, which apparently mainly emphasized "recall of isolated facts". So pretty much you could ace the exam by being Rainman.

Funny how in 1991, the mean score was 200, the standard deviation was 20, and a passing score was 176.
If only I had taken step in 1991..infant me was a huge slacker.

No, it's not. The reason you can't use USMLEWorld thru out M1/M2 is bc the questions are integrated and many cross different disciplines. It doesn't help to have a question that integrates Pathology and Behavioral Science, when you've had one but not the other.
Not to mention the fact that 3rd year learning and testing is quite different from the first 2 years. In the first 2 years there are so many quality resources, on top of daily class lectures and frequent exams, that a question bank isn't entirely necessary to score well and learn the material. 3rd year rotations have less agreed-upon resources, step 2 itself doesn't have a gold standard resource aside from UWorld, the types of pathology/procedures you'll see in any given clerkship varies based on pretty much any factor you can think of, and because you're only formally being tested once (the shelf exam), questions become that much more important to build and assess your understanding of the material throughout the clerkship.

Not to mention the fact that 3rd year learning and testing is quite different from the first 2 years. In the first 2 years there are so many quality resources, on top of daily class lectures and frequent exams, that a question bank isn't entirely necessary to score well and learn the material. 3rd year rotations have less agreed-upon resources, step 2 itself doesn't have a gold standard resource aside from UWorld, the types of pathology/procedures you'll see in any given clerkship varies based on pretty much any factor you can think of, and because you're only formally being tested once (the shelf exam), questions become that much more important to build and assess your understanding of the material throughout the clerkship.
The learning in the M3 year is much more active and independent. It's not passively taking in things thru didactic lecture. That's what is a shock for students whose main learning up until this point has always been sitting in an auditorium. There are many resources for clerkship shelf exams as well: Pretest, Casefiles, USMLEWorld, NBME sample questions, and I guess now the NBME Mastery Series just recently released (and more money for them).