• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Step 2 a requirement for Interviews?

error404

file not found
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I just contacted a program I hadn't heard from yet, because I was scheduled to be in the area and was wondering if they'd consider an interview. The program director told me that the reason I hadn't been interviewed was that there's a strict policy of only interviewing students who have both Step 1 and Step 2 scores available.

This is the first time I (or my friends) have heard of this.

Did I miss something? I was told by my advisors and dean that taking Step 2 in January wouldn't hamper my applications-- but now it has.

Are a lot of programs doing this?

--Paranoid Prelim

Upvote 0

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
  1. Attending Physician
I just contacted a program I hadn't heard from yet, because I was scheduled to be in the area and was wondering if they'd consider an interview. The program director told me that the reason I hadn't been interviewed was that there's a strict policy of only interviewing students who have both Step 1 and Step 2 scores available.

This is the first time I (or my friends) have heard of this.

Did I miss something? I was told by my advisors and dean that taking Step 2 in January wouldn't hamper my applications-- but now it has.

Are a lot of programs doing this?

--Paranoid Prelim

That's more typically a requirement for IMGs, but it's certainly up to the programs who they want to interview and what they require. Did you check their website before you applied?

Upvote 0

error404

file not found
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
  1. Resident [Any Field]
That's more typically a requirement for IMGs, but it's certainly up to the programs who they want to interview and what they require. Did you check their website before you applied?

Yep-- not mentioned. At least, nowhere I saw before applying or after when I went back to check...

Upvote 0

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
Most programs don't require this. But for more competitive specialties, I have been told that they take the Step 2 into account more often. Perhaps if you are a strong candidate you could prevail upon one of your LOR writers, or your dept. chair at your med school to ask the program if they'll schedule you in spite of this. If you are an IMG they may be wanting the score just because they don't know how to interpret your grades or LORs.

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.