Step 2 advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Major0909

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I scored a 230s-240s on Step 1 and basically was curious as to opinions about taking step 2 early vs late this upcoming app year

I have it scheduled for late august but am kind of getting nervous because it works out to about 12 days of total studying time (what I thought was enough before but am now second guessing)

All the students/pgy 1s say it doesn't matter to take it late but all the faculty say to take it asap for program directors

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Major0909 said:
Hey I scored a 230s-240s on Step 1 and basically was curious as to opinions about taking step 2 early vs late this upcoming app year

I have it scheduled for late august but am kind of getting nervous because it works out to about 12 days of total studying time (what I thought was enough before but am now second guessing)

All the students/pgy 1s say it doesn't matter to take it late but all the faculty say to take it asap for program directors

Any thoughts?

i studied intensely for about 10 days and did slightly better than step 1... that being said, studying requirements vary tremendously between different individuals, and you are your own best judge of that...

as for taking it early vs. late, 230-240s is decent for IM; but if you are shooting for a top tier program it's better to have a real impressive score somewhere.

I had a 248 on Step I, rushed into step II with only 217. I am ready to kill myself now. How bad will I look with this?

thank you.

Jenny

i dropped from 229 on step 1 to 222 on step 2 cuz i rushed it too. im not killing myself yet but i am slappin myself though :thumbdown: i dont think it will look that bad cuz lots of ppl haven't taken step 2 when apps are sent, so admission can't relaly compare ur step 2 scores to othersso hopefully they just use step 1