Step 2 and Early Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crusher

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my scenario:

Going into ENT (early match). Solid Step 1 score. No need to "redeem" myself on Step 2. However, I have a particular geographic interest which happens to involve a "Top 10" program. So, I want to do whatever is possible to improve my app.

My question is, when can I take the test and be able to NOT allow the programs to see my score should they be low, but still be able to send the programs my score at my discretion should it be high prior to interviews in November.

I'm assuming about a 1 month turnaround for score release. Thus, I'm guessing taking the test in September should allow you to forward good scores to the programs prior to interviews in November. Note that I don't feel I will need this to get an interview offer, just would like to make things look better at the actual interview if possible.

Thoughts and advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Take it any time after you send in your CAS . That should be by early September for most matches. Trust me though, a high step 2 score will do very very little to sway programs. Your time is better spent writing a paper, or doing an away elective.

Originally posted by Crusher
...Going into ENT (early match). Solid Step 1 score. No need to "redeem" myself on Step 2...My question is, when can I take the test and be able to NOT allow the programs to see my score should they be low, but still be able to send the programs my score at my discretion should it be high prior to interviews in November....Thoughts and advice?

This question has come up frequently on both the surgical forum and anesthesia. Not to play the "bible thumper" role, but, your question and its continued repetition by others is troubling. I would hope NO med-students would be attempting to "hide" any performance "deficiency". You ALL need to fight the urge and tendency to "hide" less then favorable details.

See Threads:
surgical= Delicate "When to take Step II" question
anesthesia= do interviewers ask about step 2 scores?

Originally posted by Skylizard
Alright, this is my 2 cents.

First, if you did stellar or above average on step I nobody is going to ask to much about when you will take step II.

Second, if you are concerned about having a poor showing on step II then do not take it in enough time such that you have the scores before interviews...why would you want to set yourself up like that?

Third, if you take it early you should plan on sharing that information with the programs... Either take it early and plan on sharing the information or don't. Do not start with the mentality of "can I hide this until after" I match, get the contract, get the job, get the promotion, etc... Hopefully, your career will be long and prosperous. It is sometimes hard but try to approach it with the goal of being open and straightforward. Try to eliminate any trait or tendency to "hide" something for your benefit. This kind of trait will slowly grow, sneak-up on you and tank your career sooner or later. There is nothing wrong with taking a test in a way that optimizes your options. I will say there is arguably something wrong with choosing to take a test at a time that might be less then helpfull and then trying to withhold the information. Remember, you are choosing the date not them. Do not try and have it both ways. I have no doubt that if you took step II and your score was better then step I, you would be calling these programs up and making sure they knew about it! Be honest with yourself and the programs. Because if you start residency with a tendency at doing something less you will be regarded as a snake by your fellow residents, nursing, and attending staff. 80% of residency is about culminating trust. YOU ARE CHOOSING to take this gamble or not, you make this bed and you should choose to sleep in it no matter how it turns out.

Finally, your program will ultimately know when you took step II if you match. If your scores were lousy, your PD will not miss the fact that you failed to fully disclose prior to the match. That is not a way to build trust, to start a training program or to start a career.

Last edited by a moderator: