Tipoftheiceberg

5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2012
Status
Hello everyone,

CK score: 241, Step 1 score: 253. Will this look strange for IM programs and thereby affect the number of interviews I get ?
Will it decrease my chances of being ranked higher after the interviews ?

I know there isn't a solid answer for that, but any response is appreciated because I am not feeling good about it. Thank you very much.

HelpPleaseMD

7+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
. its unlikely you will get more interview invites this late in the season and many programs like to see a step 2 by rank list time. no one will know if your 241 will will be a big deal given 253 is about 1 SD higher than the mean and 241 is closer to the mean but my feeling is that its better for you to submit.

OP
T

Tipoftheiceberg

5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2012
Status
. its unlikely you will get more interview invites this late in the season and many programs like to see a step 2 by rank list time. no one will know if your 241 will will be a big deal given 253 is about 1 SD higher than the mean and 241 is closer to the mean but my feeling is that its better for you to submit.
Thanks for the reply. I'm actually applying next season, so do you think this difference between the 2 scores will cause problems ? Thanks again.
PS: I'm an IMG

HelpPleaseMD

7+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
guess this question is just for peace of mind then... since when you submit your app both scores will go through. your scores are good enough for an IM position. depends on the rest of your app. the country where you did your med education at, the place you did your rotations, whether you have research, strong lors etc, all more important in getting you an invite as your scores are sufficient. dont worry about those.

OP
T

Tipoftheiceberg

5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2012
Status
Yes this is exactly what it is. I always notice people scoring higher on CK and people keep stressing on the fact that CK is more important than step 1 for IM and that getting a much higher step 1 score will not be looked good upon. I hope you're right about not needing to worry about my scores.

amine2086

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2009
Hola!
Status
Medical Student
Yes this is exactly what it is. I always notice people scoring higher on CK and people keep stressing on the fact that CK is more important than step 1 for IM and that getting a much higher step 1 score will not be looked good upon. I hope you're right about not needing to worry about my scores.
The bolded is true in general (the CK average is ~15 points higher than step 1). That being said, 241 is still a very good CK score. I don't think having a lower CK score (compared to step 1 score) will significantly affect your application. Your step 1 score will catapult you to the top of the pack (assuming rest of your application solid) and you should have received some great IVs already. I do not think you will be asked about your lower CK score during the interviews.

OP
T

Tipoftheiceberg

5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2012
Status
The bolded is true in general (the CK average is ~15 points higher than step 1). That being said, 241 is still a very good CK score. I don't think having a lower CK score (compared to step 1 score) will significantly affect your application. Your step 1 score will catapult you to the top of the pack (assuming rest of your application solid) and you should have received some great IVs already. I do not think you will be asked about your lower CK score during the interviews.
Thanks. I will be applying next year so I hope this will not cause problems. I also hope they don't ask me about it during the interviews because I have no idea why this happened. It just happened.