Step 2 CK requirement for Anes Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xianxTxx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a current MS4, planning on applying for anesthesia this cycle. I took my Step 1 score and got a 234 but havent taken Step 2. My dilemma is that I decided on Anesthesia pretty late (end of May) then did an elective in June (which I honored & got 3 associate prof. level letters).

However, I then had a mandatory core rotation in July-August during which I thought Ill be able to study for Step 2, but that did not happen as I just did not get enough time between preparing personal statements, getting letters off my one Anes elective, studying for shelf, going to clinicals and the like.

Now, I am worried whether Anesthesia combined programs require Step 2 to interview or not. I know they require it to match you but I am confident I will be prepared to take it Sep end or Oct beginning so I will have the scores in by match time. I just dont know that with my Step 1 score, do I need a backup for Step 2 for majority of combined programs in Anesthesia. And if having taken Step 2 is a requirement for them to offer interview. Anyone who applied recently with any insights? Or any attendings who have been on admissions committee able to give your insights?

Thank you so much for getting through the text above and for your time!

Sincerely,

Concerned MS4

P.S. I go to a top-tier school and I would say I am an average student in my class who just happened to be a really bad test-taker. I am planning on staying in the South and looking for primarily in Texas, Georgia, Florida, or Arizona and up north in Michigan, NY, Mass., or NJ.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am a current MS4, planning on applying for anesthesia this cycle. I took my Step 1 score and got a 234 but havent taken Step 2. My dilemma is that I decided on Anesthesia pretty late (end of May) then did an elective in June (which I honored & got 3 associate prof. level letters).

However, I then had a mandatory core rotation in July-August during which I thought Ill be able to study for Step 2, but that did not happen as I just did not get enough time between preparing personal statements, getting letters off my one Anes elective, studying for shelf, going to clinicals and the like.

Now, I am worried whether Anesthesia combined programs require Step 2 to interview or not. I know they require it to match you but I am confident I will be prepared to take it Sep end or Oct beginning so I will have the scores in by match time. I just dont know that with my Step 1 score, do I need a backup for Step 2 for majority of combined programs in Anesthesia. And if having taken Step 2 is a requirement for them to offer interview. Anyone who applied recently with any insights? Or any attendings who have been on admissions committee able to give your insights?

Thank you so much for getting through the text above and for your time!

Sincerely,

Concerned MS4

P.S. I go to a top-tier school and I would say I am an average student in my class who just happened to be a really bad test-taker. I am planning on staying in the South and looking for primarily in Texas, Georgia, Florida, or Arizona and up north in Michigan, NY, Mass., or NJ.

most dont. i took both ck and cs in december. got interviews from many places

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You applied with just a Step 1 score?

What type of letters did you end up using?

Yes, just step 1. I went to most of my interviews with just step 1 too since step 2ck/cs came out in february [? dont quite remember]
Rec letters were from medicine, anesthesiology, and anes department chair

I applied with just step 1. Went fine. Did slightly better than you on exam but ranked near bottom of class for 3rd year grades.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I also applied with just step 1. I was asked about step 2 at a few interviews but got almost all of them before submitting my score in November or so

I ended up rescheduling mine to October. I guess Ill focus all my energy into getting a good applciation ready. Thanks for your replies!