Step 2 ck score 230 after step 1 of 253

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XYZ-ABC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an img I got 230 on ck and I feel devastated I feel like being dead... i had 253 in step 1 ...rushed ck to APPLY in this year's match ... submitted application on October 4 ...ck score came out on October 18 ...resleased the score but I am just so low.. ..i don't have a single interview yet and I feel i wasted my money and career in haste ... I feel so depressed

Members don't see this ad.

People have been telling me that a lot of programs don't take ck less than 235 even for interview and I would be less appealing to PDs cz of a drop in 23 points ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Admittedly I have not been a student for a while. So I don't know what has changed in terms of scores. But Step 1 back in my day carried a heavier weight than step to.
My suggestion, is take a few see breaths and try to relax. Stop listening to "people". Quite frankly, there is nothing you can do about it now is there? Unless yoi are allowed to apply to more programs. So what's the point of being so upset and "devastated?"

Reactions: 1 user
I know... gets harder when I think I don't have a single interview invite yet and people are posting scores in 250 260 range only... though nothing can be done...but it takes time to make peace with it ...

Edited out offensive material by staff

Why this response? Surely you are aware that people in this situation have committed suicide.

OP, I'm sorry you're feeling low. Start emailing PCs. Make each email count, no need to mention the score. The Step 2 score is not terrible. Yes, it's a big drop, but the step 1 was really high. If it were 240/217 that 23 pts would matter a lot more. If you get a waitlist, respond enthusiastically and hope for the best.

Hang in there, and don't let this consume you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an img I got 230 on ck and I feel devastated I feel like being dead... i had 253 in step 1 ...rushed ck to APPLY in this year's match ... submitted application on October 4 ...ck score came out on October 18 ...resleased the score but I am just so low.. ..i don't have a single interview yet and I feel i wasted my money and career in haste ... I feel so depressed
Which specialty are you applying to? Your best bet on getting useful advice if to post in a specialty-specific subforum. You can also get advice on specific programs you're competitive for.

Why this response? Surely you are aware that people in this situation have committed suicide.

OP, I'm sorry you're feeling low. Start emailing PCs. Make each email count, no need to mention the score. The Step 2 score is not terrible. Yes, it's a big drop, but the step 1 was really high. If it were 240/217 that 23 pts would matter a lot more. If you get a waitlist, respond enthusiastically and hope for the best.

Hang in there, and don't let this consume you.
Nope, I was not really aware that people killed themselves over step scores. This is a sad state of affairs we live under these days.

Op that was sarcasm. Not encouragement. Hopefully you didn't take me seriously.

While OP probably did not take yoy seriously, suicide is more common among medical students than any other group of students. (Source: https://www.amsa.org/suicide-is-more-common-in-medical-school-than-in-any-other-school-setting/ ) It's something to be mindful of.

This man committed suicide after not matching:
Robert Chu’s suicide sends a message medicine cannot ignore | Toronto Star

I remember a woman who died at my Caribbean medical school the day after a score release. She fell from a balcony at 10 in the morning.

When you really think about it, it's not that hard to see where they are coming from. Imagine the desperation of being close to half a million dollars in debt and facing the prospect of working part time at 2 or 3 different jobs for minimum wage. None of your hard work counts. You are less employable than when you started medical school. Now imagine those loans are federal and you have a cosigner. You are well aware that if you off yourself the debt does not devastate your cosigner(s). Financially, your family is literally better off without you.

Even leaving out the shame of failing, it's not hard to see how not matching can point one toward suicide. It's just not something to joke about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Nope, I was not really aware that people killed themselves over step scores.

He jests at scars that never felt a wound.

Life is long, chocomorsel. The things one sees along the way are truly humbling, if one only knows how to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.