Step 2 CK Score Decrease From Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anestheticman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so my practice USMLE world and NBME tests are predicting between 199-205 for me. I got a 215 on Step 1.

If I get about a 200, I am going to try to do better... but still, if I get a 200 how bad will this be when program directors get the score in Dec/Jan?

How much does it play into the rank list?

I am hoping to at least get the 215.... but still nervous!

Members don't see this ad.

Since your Step 1 score is below the average for matched applicants in Anesthesia, you HAVE to do better on Step 2 (see http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf for the data...page 11 is where you will find scores by specialty. 220 is the average for Anesthesia). Obviously the anesthesia guys can tell you better if most programs rank using Step 2 scores, but the wisdom of taking Step 2 is:

- if your Step 1 score is phenomenal, do not take Step 2 before the match unless your program makes you. You will almost assuredly do worse.

- if your Step 1 score is average, do not take Step 2 before the match unless your program makes you. You will not likely do better and it will not help you to match.

- if your Step 1 score is below average or poor, take Step 2 and do better than you did on Step 1. This is really the only option. Step 2 is considered an "easier" exam than Step 1. If you do significantly worse than your already subpar Step 1 score, IMHO it reflects poorly on your application.

In programs I am familiar with, all prelim ranking (which would include your Step scores, LORS, grades, interview) happens the day you interview. If your score is not available during the interview, I find it highly unlikely that it will change your ranking when they receive it later. They may not even download the data from ERAS once they've done the initial download of your application.

In general, if a program has interviewed you, they have considered you "good enough" based on the objective standards...it is the subjective that further determines your ranking, IMHO.

Well, I mentioned this in the anesthesia thread too.

My school requires that I take it before the end of December, not pass it but take it...

I can put it off as far as possible but the question is would a 200 at that time be better than a 200 now?

Well, I mentioned this in the anesthesia thread too.

My school requires that I take it before the end of December, not pass it but take it...

I can put it off as far as possible but the question is would a 200 at that time be better than a 200 now?

Since it sounds like you are absolutely sure you will not do well (Why? Its not a difficult exam.) I would venture that taking it now and doing poorly will be worse than taking it in December and doing poorly.

Some programs may screen out your application based on your Step 2 score...if you don't meet a certain criteria (and most programs will expect you to do better on Step 2 than 1), they won't even see your application. However, not everyone has a Step 2 score in ERAS so they will most likely not use it.

Seems to me that since you already have interviews, you will be asked what your plans are for taking Step 2. Hopefully by taking it later you can improve your score and it enables you to interview at programs and impress them, regardless of what your Step 2 score may be. The downside is that you may end up interviewing at places that ordinarily wouldn't have invited you based on a 200 Step 2 score and you'll end up wasting time and money if you don't otherwise impress them to look past your score.

If you have already asked this question in that forum, I'll close this thread as it is a TOS violation to have two (or more) threads from the same user with the same question.

OK, it's silly to plan the rest of your med school career based on what you're getting on a PRACTICE TEST.

Status
Not open for further replies.