Step 2 CS Fail and IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyPearseed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If that had happened to me, I probably won't tell them about my CS fail attempt. Maybe you can try to see if you can not bring it up on *some* of the interviews. You know, just in case.

I bet most programs won't tell you about some duty hour violations, that their food sucks, that interns don't go to morning report most of the time... etc. It's a song and dance and you have to put your best foot forward, just like they do. Just don't lie if asked straight up about your CS. Just my 2 cents, but if you and your student deans feel strongly about revealing it to everyone, then go ahead -- they probably have more experience with these situations than I do.

Agree with flip MD. I think as long as you retake and pass it before your start, it should not be a huge deal.

If that had happened to me, I probably won't tell them about my CS fail attempt. Maybe you can try to see if you can not bring it up on *some* of the interviews. You know, just in case.

I bet most programs won't tell you about some duty hour violations, that their food sucks, that interns don't go to morning report most of the time... etc. It's a song and dance and you have to put your best foot forward, just like they do. Just don't lie if asked straight up about your CS. Just my 2 cents, but if you and your student deans feel strongly about revealing it to everyone, then go ahead -- they probably have more experience with these situations than I do.

Hard to disagree with full disclosure. Have a good explanation that follows immediately and does not require a prompt.

PCs who are on top of the situation will keep track of all Step2s on all candidates and will definitely flag your application once the failure comes through (assuming with the pass). You don't want that flag to be the first the PD hears about it. You'll get canned by a number of places. You can't predict what people will do with the knowledge ahead of time or whether they really care, I can confidently predict that PDs will be negative if they felt at all misled.