Step 2 CS going Virtual (Telehealth)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

painfuldoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
"As announced previously, Step 2 CS testing has been suspended due to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, and the USMLE program is pursuing testing solutions to ensure the health and safety of examinees and test center staff. After careful consideration, the USMLE program has determined that it cannot resume the exam in its current format without unacceptable risk to examinees and staff.

Prior to COVID-19, the USMLE program was in the very early stages of exploring alternate formats and methods for delivery of the Step 2 CS exam, as part of overall efforts to enhance the USMLE. As a result of COVID-19, these plans have been accelerated and are focused on a testing solution that employs a telehealth model, where examinees and standardized patients would interact online, via a web browser. The USMLE program is aggressively assessing this solution, which will require significant redesign of the exam's content and delivery. Expediting such changes to the exam format and delivery will help result in a safe and effective assessment for all involved.

At this time, Step 2 CS testing is expected to resume after July.

Please know that we are doing everything we can to address the challenges of this new environment quickly, and that we will continue to provide you with updates on our progress."

Members don't see this ad.

That’s an expensive zoom happy hour

Reactions: 18 users
"Prior to COVID-19, the USMLE program was in the very early stages of exploring alternate formats and methods for delivery of the Step 2 CS exam, as part of overall efforts to enhance the USMLE. As a result of COVID-19, these plans have been accelerated and are focused on a testing solution that employs a telehealth model, where examinees and standardized patients would interact online, via a web browser. The USMLE program is aggressively assessing this solution, which will require significant redesign of the exam's content and delivery. Expediting such changes to the exam format and delivery will help result in a safe and effective assessment for all involved."

There better be a significant redesign of that $1300 price then

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
the pass rate better go back up to 99%. Can you imagine failing a student, delaying their licensing, jeopardizing their chances of matching, and having them shell out another $1300 because they failed a telehealth exam?

Reactions: 18 users
"As announced previously, Step 2 CS testing has been suspended due to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, and the USMLE program is pursuing testing solutions to ensure the health and safety of examinees and test center staff. After careful consideration, the USMLE program has determined that it cannot resume the exam in its current format without unacceptable risk to examinees and staff.

Prior to COVID-19, the USMLE program was in the very early stages of exploring alternate formats and methods for delivery of the Step 2 CS exam, as part of overall efforts to enhance the USMLE. As a result of COVID-19, these plans have been accelerated and are focused on a testing solution that employs a telehealth model, where examinees and standardized patients would interact online, via a web browser. The USMLE program is aggressively assessing this solution, which will require significant redesign of the exam's content and delivery. Expediting such changes to the exam format and delivery will help result in a safe and effective assessment for all involved.

At this time, Step 2 CS testing is expected to resume after July.

Please know that we are doing everything we can to address the challenges of this new environment quickly, and that we will continue to provide you with updates on our progress."

Just got that same email, so I’m paying 1300 dollars for an SP on a Zoom call???????
Wtf.

NBME can’t let go of the money and this is the result. Screw our 12 months 3rd year clinical interactions— this video-encounter will determine our capacity for empathy/CLINICAL SKILLS....am I suppose to auscultate my laptop screen— verbally tell them I’ll auscultate in this spot...this spot....

I don’t even know anymore man.

Reactions: 11 users
I pushed my step 2ck to November already, and now it very much seems like step 2cs even via my computer won't happen in July...I'm having a hard time planning my life right now. Unfortunately I've got a step 1 score that I can't skate by on (though hopefully it won't tank me either). Sorry, just venting I guess.

Reactions: 4 users
It's amazing. They just can't let go of that money. They should have just waived CS permanently, especially for this class.

Reactions: 13 users
the pass rate better go back up to 99%. Can you imagine failing a student, delaying their licensing, jeopardizing their chances of matching, and having them shell out another $1300 because they failed a telehealth exam?

I think the NBME's gonna make it rain this year. I can totally see the pass rate falling even more because of the nature of a telehealth CS.

Reactions: 1 user
Ca$h Cow

Interesting reads on their finances...

1. Step 2 CS, Part One: How did we get here?
2. Step 2 CS, Part Two: The Resistance
3. Thread by @jbcarmody: "I’d like to talk about the finances - and potential financial conflict of interest - at the National Board of Medical Examiners. This is gon […]" #USMLE #COI #medtwitter #meded

Also NBME's Peter J. Katsufrakis gets free first class airfare and travel expenses for him and his spouse, along with money for a health club membership. This is in addition to his 7 figure annual salary:

EXdllHmXQAIIjOF

EXdlkkCWkAEK8og

Reactions: 2 users
I think the NBME's gonna make it rain this year. I can totally see the pass rate falling even more because of the nature of a telehealth CS.
I don't think they'll risk failing more people this year. That could result in a lawsuit. Subjecting students to an exam format they have not prepared for and pretty much ruining chances at their residency. I'm sure they don't want to deal with all the lawsuits coming their way.

Either way its BS. They should just cancel this useless exam. This online format just further shows this exam was a cash grab. Its supposed to be an in person exam dealing with people, performing physical, acting in a certain way in clinical/social situation. #CancelCS

Reactions: 15 users
The whole medical education is not driven by AAMC but NBME...it became very apparent with this pandemic...like titanic...until the ship sinks and everyone die, they are trying very hard to not let go this money grabber test...

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There better be a significant redesign of that $1300 price then
lol, if there is a price redesign it probably won't be what you think... In a few weeks, knowing the NBME, we'll be hearing "Due to the unprecedented situation, Step 2 CS will have a bargain of a price adjustment to help us cover our costs and expenses with moving the exam to this innovative new format: $1499.99. We know that since you no longer have to fly, drive, or purchase a hotel, you can definitely afford our new price. If you don't say thank you profusely in person and online, we will make it $1999.99, so be grateful"

Reactions: 12 users
Moment like this: match, graduate and run as far as you can from medical education. It is nothing but a scam.

Reactions: 8 users
It's impossible for me to overstate my hatred and disgust of CS. I try not to see the world in black and white, but it's extremely difficult for me to take seriously anyone even attempts to justify its existence when the evidence is so crystal clear that it's nothing more than an utterly transparent and unimaginative scam.

Here's a pledge I will make right now: I will never be the attending who immediately forgets the troubles I experienced in medical school. I am going to run towards and not from the problems with medical education today. As I move into residency and beyond I will do everything I can to publicly voice the reasons CS should be eliminated. If I am ever in a position to have the tiniest degree of influence over residency applications I will strongly advocate for completely ignoring CS results.

Reactions: 28 users
It's impossible for me to overstate my hatred and disgust of CS. I try not to see the world in black and white, but it's extremely difficult for me to take seriously anyone even attempts to justify its existence when the evidence is so crystal clear that it's nothing more than an utterly transparent and unimaginative scam.

Here's a pledge I will make right now: I will never be the attending who immediately forgets the troubles I experienced in medical school. I am going to run towards and not from the problems with medical education today. As I move into residency and beyond I will do everything I can to publicly voice the reasons CS should be eliminated. If I am ever in a position to have the tiniest degree of influence over residency applications I will strongly advocate for completely ignoring CS results.

Thank you. This test has been challenged for years now for its credibility and validity. It is shocking to find out it is still existing until now. Where are aamc, where are educators, where are advocates, and where are medical administrators? Why and how they can let this test go on despite the majority of people agree on this test is nothing but money grabbers. It becomes very obvious who benefits the most and what drives this whole CS thing: money.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you. This test has been challenged for years now for its credibility and validity. It is shocking to find out it is still existing until now. Where are aamc, where are educators, where are advocates, and where are medical administrators? Why and how they can let this test go on despite the majority of people agree on this test is nothing but money grabbers. It becomes very obvious who benefits the most and what drives this whole CS thing: money.
For the NBME itself it's obviously money. Their gross revenue off this nonsense alone $40 million per year and lord knows they're putting as little of that as humanly possible back into the quality of the "exam" so they're laughing all the way to the bank. For everyone else, I'm afraid it's something far more insidious - apathy. On an individual level the average resident or attending isn't affected one bit by the existence of Step 2 CS. But I would argue that this sort of thing contributes to a culture where doctors don't stand up for themselves and what's best for medicine and medical education, and in that sense everybody suffers.

Reactions: 5 users
For the NBME itself it's obviously money. Their gross revenue off this nonsense alone $40 million per year and lord knows they're putting as little of that as humanly possible back into the quality of the "exam" so they're laughing all the way to the bank. For everyone else, I'm afraid it's something far more insidious - apathy. On an individual level the average resident or attending isn't affected one bit by the existence of Step 2 CS. But I would argue that this sort of thing contributes to a culture where doctors don't stand up for themselves and what's best for medicine and medical education, and in that sense everybody suffers.

I agree. The mentality of “I bite that bullet now it is your turn”...Also I did not know until now NBME is a separate entity from AAMC. All NBME do is pretty much administering test...but look at how much power they have over our future or medical education. One may wonder what does AAMC even do? ‍♀️

they probably had Friday zoom HH yesterday before releasing this at 830pm right before the weekend.

If there is a time to push for removing cs as a requirement for being ranked or canceled altogether, this is it.

Reactions: 9 users
If medical students as a unified group decided to not take the test, if programs and licensing boards refused to acknowledge Step 2 CS, then we would see change. There is a campaign to end step 2 cs, but it has not received good traction End Step 2 CS

The exploitation of medical students continues even to attending level as medical boards charge high fees for licensing exams and MOC. Thankfully there is a grassroots effort expressing their discontent, even though some of these lawsuits have been tossed by judges. The fight for freedom starts on a small scale, but after accumulating a critical dissenting mass, liberty finally arrives.

Reactions: 3 users
Like someone say, now is the time for us to unite and make a difference. Please share the link above. I came across it awhile ago actually and is sadden to find out people have tried to fight this test for so long. Despite on how stupid it is and the number of people who signed it, step 2 CS still exists and continue to exist despite this Pandemic.

Like someone say, now is the time for us to unite and make a difference. Please share the link above. I came across it awhile ago actually and is sadden to find out people have tried to fight this test for so long. Despite on how stupid it is and the number of people who signed it, step 2 CS still exists and continue to exist despite this Pandemic.
And it will unless state medical boards change that it is a requirement to get licensed.

And it will unless state medical boards change that it is a requirement to get licensed.
State medical boards don't have it as a requirement. The NBME made it a requirement to take Step 3 - that's why it's not a separate Step, but "CS" and "CK." If that doesn't tell everyone all they need to know about how this organization operates...

Reactions: 5 users
State medical boards don't have it as a requirement. The NBME made it a requirement to take Step 3 - that's why it's not a separate Step, but "CS" and "CK." If that doesn't tell everyone all they need to know about how this organization operates...
My state board asks for the CS transcript.

• Sad
It's amazing that meds don't revolt one day and say that they are not going to take that kkkrap...

There will be. It's going to go up to cover "IT costs".
And the people who now have to spend their time and effort to accelerate this process for “our sakes”....we should be grateful and willing to pay more...indeed why don’t we start a go fund me in the name of NBME in their effort to minimize the disruption of our future plan as much as possible.

Those bastards already did lolol :dead:

yfbvqgxzzox41.png

Oh woah...part of this problem is we as medical students and doctors, do not fight for ourselves enough and give NBME the ability to decide our fates regardless of how many years or works we put in this.

So is there a chance to administer this exam internationally via prometric centers to expedite the back log clearing?Or for no reason the will want people across the world travelling into the country.

So is there a chance to administer this exam internationally via prometric centers to expedite the back log clearing?Or for no reason the will want people across the world travelling into the country.
There are approximately 30k students in the us who will have to travel to five cities. It seems like capacity for administration of this test is limited . You rob Aly couldn’t train enough sps in time and not do you have enough space to catch up with the backlog. It’s not international students clogging up the pipeline , it’s that the pipeline doesn’t have enough surge capacity to catch up. Sending us students abroad would be a dumb move.

Just saw this, not sure if true

Attachments

• 4C97CFF3-46C2-48D2-A88C-2401B9D7398C.png
    4C97CFF3-46C2-48D2-A88C-2401B9D7398C.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Prior to COVID-19, the USMLE program was in the very early stages of exploring alternate formats and methods for delivery of the Step 2 CS exam, as part of overall efforts to enhance the USMLE. As a result of COVID-19, these plans have been accelerated and are focused on a testing solution that employs a telehealth model, where examinees and standardized patients would interact online, via a web browser. The USMLE program is aggressively assessing this solution, which will require significant redesign of the exam's content and delivery.

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they never stopped to think if they should.

There are approximately 30k students in the us who will have to travel to five cities. It seems like capacity for administration of this test is limited . You rob Aly couldn’t train enough sps in time and not do you have enough space to catch up with the backlog. It’s not international students clogging up the pipeline , it’s that the pipeline doesn’t have enough surge capacity to catch up. Sending us students abroad would be a dumb move.
Not sending us students abroad but lets not crowd us more with us and non us imgs who may fly in plus among the cancelled ones there will be lot of foreigners as well,so its better to deliver the test in the prometric of those countries,they are looking to scale up testing after all..

it makes no sense after it has become telehealth to only offer it in select places in the usa leading to further clogging

Not sending us students abroad but lets not crowd us more with us and non us imgs who may fly in plus among the cancelled ones there will be lot of foreigners as well,so its better to deliver the test in the prometric of those countries,they are looking to scale up testing after all..

it makes no sense after it has become telehealth to only offer it in select places in the usa leading to further clogging
not sure what you are getting at. Even weirder that you want to exclude Non-US IMGs but not US IMGs.
But if the test is virtual it can be administered anywhere, including prometric centers, schools where they have testing facilities or even at home. So the point is moot. That is the whole point of it becoming telehealth.

What a joke. We have end of semester SP exams that were conducted online this semester and it was not at all the same, I can't imagine being evaluated for something for residency/licensure based on that. "I would then listen to the patient's heart on 4 posts on bare skin, here, here, here, and here, making sure I keep my stethoscope in place for 3-5 seconds on each post". NBME keeps looking worse and worse to me throughout this experience..

What a joke. We have end of semester SP exams that were conducted online this semester and it was not at all the same, I can't imagine being evaluated for something for residency/licensure based on that. "I would then listen to the patient's heart on 4 posts on bare skin, here, here, here, and here, making sure I keep my stethoscope in place for 3-5 seconds on each post". NBME keeps looking worse and worse to me throughout this experience..

Oh just wait until the NBOME makes DO students still FLY to Philly and Chicago to do PE because, "you can't do OMM without being in person."

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Oh just wait until the NBOME makes DO students still FLY to Philly and Chicago to do PE because, "you can't do OMM without being in person."
I could honestly see them changing it to asking you to recommend certain exercises/stretches.

not sure what you are getting at. Even weirder that you want to exclude Non-US IMGs but not US IMGs.
But if the test is virtual it can be administered anywhere, including prometric centers, schools where they have testing facilities or even at home. So the point is moot. That is the whole point of it becoming telehealth.
Im being misunderstood here,i just meant lot of IMGs would have had their exam cancelled so hopefully they can administer the test via prometric in their countries so that they dont travel here and us mds as well as us imgs might have more spots to test here in the usa.

Im being misunderstood here,i just meant lot of IMGs would have had their exam cancelled so hopefully they can administer the test via prometric in their countries so that they dont travel here and us mds as well as us imgs might have more spots to test here in the usa.
This test is likely going to be administered at home . Considering prometric centers aren’t set up for videoconferencing . So I don’t think it will matter .

It's amazing. They just can't let go of that money. They should have just waived CS permanently, especially for this class.
And for ALL classes to follow...

This was their chance to end this silly and useless test. But they just can't let go of the money. How shameful and embarrassing, honestly.

I wish medical school and residency people higher up would stand up for students (and the concept of medical education and evaluation) and confront the NBME already.

This test is likely going to be administered at home . Considering prometric centers aren’t set up for videoconferencing . So I don’t think it will matter .
Wouldnt they have security concerns?I mean students between breaks aren’t allowed to talk,this is a bull**** exam with a high passrate but still for appearances i dont think they will go to administer it at home