Step 2 CS January 2020 Score Release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RHL ONE

CLASS OF 2020!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else waiting for score release on January 29th 2020? 7.5 weeks is a long time especially when you made dumb mistakes on the exam and you begin doubting if you truly passed or not. This wait is a killer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys
I failed ICE in the exam .I finished all cases and notes and I have no idea what went wrong.the ICE is close to borderline.Is it worth to try recheck or it is wasting money and times ?

Attachments

• IMG_7591.jpg
    IMG_7591.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 264
I would wager that the vast majority of students do not do this
Even I am very skeptical, however I failed cs with just one cross less in the ICE section. Although I did score very high in both SEP and CIS, that is why I was asking for any input about these courses if they can help me get an edge.

I failed ICE with two more crosses in the borderline than you. I was one cross away from the higher performance box, whatever that even means.

I looked into having it rescored, but I read they don't actually regrade your note. Let's say they give 10 points for HPI, 10 points for physical exam, and 30 points for the diagnosis and workup section. Let's also say you need 30 points to pass and the person grading your note gives you 5 points for your HPI, 5 points for the physical exam, and 19 points for the diagnosis and workup for a total of 29 points, just one point away from passing.

If you have your test rescored, they do NOT actually re-read your note. Instead, they just redo the math. They say well, her original grade was 5+5+19. Let's add those numbers up again. Hmmm... yup, those still add up to 29 points. And thanks for the extra money.

After seeing that, I said screw it and just saved my money and signed up to retake the exam again.

Also note the example of grading I used is totally arbitrary and made up. Nobody knows how this stupid exam is graded. At least for Step 1 and Step 2 CK it's straight forward, either you chose the correct answer or you didn't. And they say it takes ~60% correct to pass the written exams, but they don't release anything about CS, largely because it's arbitrary and they know it's just a money-making scheme.

Reactions: 1 user
I failed CS and took target USMLE note program - you send in notes for cases and they grade them for you. Didn’t get retake score yet though...good if you think note was the problem. Also used nitrotype to double typing speed.

Also listened to Merck Manual podcast of patient symptoms to keep common differentials and workups fresh in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also getting my score end of January. This was a retake for me failed ICE the first time with nothing crossing borderline into higher performance. Wonder how close to passing I was the first time my highest X was to the furthest part of borderline. Had no problems with CIS (feel they are more lenient on CIS).

I just wish they gave more feedback on which parts you messed up on :(. I hate this test so much. The first time I took it was beginning of 4th year. I'm hoping that after doing 2 FM rotations, finishing 4th year and finishing CK prepped me more for ICE. The first time I took the exam was before I had started studying for CK.

I prepped pretty diligently the second time (definitely more so than the first time), and started re-studying for it immediately after CK (hoping that additional knowledge helped) and took it this time immediately after an FM rotation, but I still walked out the second time feeling unsure of how I did. I wish I had walked out feeling good about it. I really can't fail this exam again fml. Had no issues with step 1 or ck and passed both on my first attempt. Never had any issues with rotations or with being awkward around patients. Clinical skills and soft skills always pretty good. So much anxiety since December waiting for this stupid score. I have never felt so anxious. Never had this feeling after step 1 or after CK.

I know the first time I took it i really blew 2 differentials including a cant miss one so that probably contributed to the failing ICE. I also only washed my hands when I walked into the room and not just before the PE. I definitely didn't make those mistakes again the second time. I also started top down on my note this time. The first time I took CS I started with differentials and work up and then went top down. I'm hoping I had more thorough H/Ps this time cause I started those sections first on the note to see if that make a difference this time around but I have no idea which parts of the note are weighed more heavily. I just hate this wait. I'm sorry for the rant guys.

Last edited:
Also getting my score end of January. This was a retake for me failed ICE the first time with nothing crossing borderline into higher performance. Wonder how close to passing I was the first time my highest X was to the furthest part of borderline. Had no problems with CIS (feel they are more lenient on CIS)..

Exactly my story...
:(
Felt like such an idiot, especially cause everyone says easy pass.
No idea exactly why I failed. Feels random. Hopefully second pass we get random passes.

Hello guys
I failed ICE in the exam .I finished all cases and notes and I have no idea what went wrong.the ICE is close to borderline.Is it worth to try recheck or it is wasting money and times ?
Hello guys
It's unbelievable. I got exactly the same score you got. I did my exam back in August 2019. Hopefully we pass this time .

Imagine being able to grade these exams with literally zero oversight for years. I hope one day someone files a lawsuit and we get to see just what a sheetshow the grading is. Crusty failed proctologist in corner cubicle watching Netflix intermittently assigning stars based on proximity to naptime.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I just realized I used some abbreviations that are not on the "list" they provide, such as CTABL for clear to ascultation bilaterally, RRR for regular rate and rhythym, no M/R/G or MRG for murmurs/rubs/gallops, LEs for lower extremities, etc.

Also things like Pt for patient (not prothrombin time lol), NAD for no acute distress, SI, RLQ, LLQ. These are all not on the official abbreviation list...

So now I am worried I will get a lower score for ICE.

Last edited:
Hey, I just realized I used some abbreviations that are not on the "list" they provide, such as CTABL for clear to ascultation bilaterally, RRR for regular rate and rhythym, no M/R/G or MRG for murmurs/rubs/gallops, LEs for lower extremities, etc.

Also things like Pt for patient (not prothrombin time lol), NAD for no acute distress, SI, RLQ, LLQ. These are all not on the official abbreviation list...

The list is not comprehensive.

It shouldn’t matter if they are commonly known.

But it might matter anyway.

Nobody f****** knows.

On the bright side, you can always pay an extra thousand dollars for a recheck and the NBME will perform a complex verification assessment to ensure that their calculator is in working order.

Nah, they don’t actually check anything. They just look at your check and laugh.

On the bright side, you can always pay an extra thousand dollars for a recheck and the NBME will perform a complex verification assessment to ensure that their calculator is in working order.

Nah, they don’t actually check anything. They just look at your check and laugh.
It's also only like $80. Not quite $1000.

You might get a lower score for ICE. No one can answer to what extend too many is too many. It's true the list they provide is not comprehensive but you should always try to write as much out as you can just to be safe.

I took the exam in the last day of my testing period does this mean I will receive the score at the end of the reporting period?

Update: my print permit disappeared on the NBME website under exam history. According to previous threads this means that if you are a USMD you will receive your score this Wednesday. It is not an indication of passing or failing.

Anyone else waiting for score release on January 29th 2020? 7.5 weeks is a long time especially when you made dumb mistakes on the exam and you begin doubting if you truly passed or not. This wait is a killer.
MEEE!! can't wait! So nervous. I don't know what happen that day! I have PTSD

Update: my print permit disappeared on the NBME website under exam history. According to previous threads this means that if you are a USMD you will receive your score this Wednesday. It is not an indication of passing or failing.

I can confirm this is true. It is not an indication of pass/fail because my permit disappeared the weekend before I got my score and I failed.

i only day this because I remember reading where people thought it meant they would pass. I thought the same too.

So nervous, this is a retake for me also. A residency spot is literally depending on these results. Good luck everyone.

So nervous, this is a retake for me also. A residency spot is literally depending on these results. Good luck everyone.
I'm in your same boat. I did retake this exam and my only possibility of matching depend of the result this time. Hopefully we passed

same boat here. none of my ranked programs have specifically asked for a step 2cs score yet but if they do and I failed that would be devastating. I heard some programs will rank a USMD even if they dont report a step 2 cs, but they need to pass before they graduate. Im not sure if that is true tho.

For those of you that failed and are retaking the exam: Are you going to release your Step 2 CS scores after you pass, or just going to leave it blank?

The programs that asked for it I will directly email them the new score report. For the others I’m going to re-release since I know they’ll be wanting/expecting it. Most programs know there is a January release for scores so that’s probably why they haven’t emailed asking for it.

Are you worried about programs not ranking you at all that don't send you an email asking for an update?

Maybe it is safer to resend. Not sure.

I was basing my decision entirely on this thread:

It seems last month FVCS trick didn’t work for AMG so no tricks are working as of now...(judging from SDN December thread)

Does it mean that we'll get the report this Wednesday if the pass/fail status of step 2 CS under FCVS is blank ? (I'm IMG btw)

This is frustrating.