Step 2 CS now harder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trkd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen that Step 2 CS now has higher minimum requirements to pass.

http://www.usmle.org/step2/Step2CS/Step2Indexes/Step2CSIndex.htm#change

I hope they are not trying to go hard core with this. I was expecting it to be ridiculously easy and now this gets me worried. I will only have 3 days to study for it after CK but now I am thinking if I should study more.

Anyone else concerned that they might swing to the complete opposite spectrum of difficult grading?

Members don't see this ad.

trkd said:
Has anyone seen that Step 2 CS now has higher minimum requirements to pass.

http://www.usmle.org/step2/Step2CS/Step2Indexes/Step2CSIndex.htm#change

I hope they are not trying to go hard core with this. I was expecting it to be ridiculously easy and now this gets me worried. I will only have 3 days to study for it after CK but now I am thinking if I should study more.

Anyone else concerned that they might swing to the complete opposite spectrum of difficult grading?

I find it absolutely ridiculous that they would implement these changes in the middle of prime testing season. :thumbdown:

Essentially, residency directors will be comparing applicants who were graded using totally different standards.

In my opinion, they should have waited until 2007 match participants had taken the test.

crap! I was going to take this garbage early this summer but decided to put it off until waaaaay later into 4th year. Seriously, this is the stupidest thing this side of the pet rock :thumbdown:

ThreadkillerMD said:
Essentially, residency directors will be comparing applicants who were graded using totally different standards.

I dont think its going to be such a drastic change. The pass rate is around 90 % right now, so they are trying to bring it down a little bit

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the others. The changes should not have come during the prime testing season. I was planning on trying to schedule it soon, but with these changes I am thinking about trying to wait a little longer for them to work the kinks out in the new grading system. I don't know about the rest of you, but this whole test annoys me in general. We pay nearly a thousand dollars to take it, not counting travel expenses---now they decide to make it harder! I am not happy with NBME! :thumbdown:

They looked at their results and saw that too many IMGs were passing so they decided to raise the bar a little. This is such a transparent discriminatory tool. It won't affect American med students at all, unless you totally blow it off and come into it unprepared and don't give a sheet.

I don't think there will a huge change either but it just puts a little doubt there. Now, there won't be a ton of people who have taken it before me to say "yeah, it is no problem, don't study for it". Furthermore, since they will never say what they are looking for in the exam, you don't know how to study harder for something you already didn't know how to study for.