Step 2 CS Re-take… very concerned about my experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Konda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently re-took my Step 2 CS and I am panicking like crazy this time. The first time I took it, I felt I had some great, straightforward cases and was sure I passed and never worried about it. Turned out I failed the ICE section.

This time I spent all my time studying for the CS like crazy, took a 5-day course, reviewed first aid multiple times, practiced as much as possible and would write at least 5-10 notes a day on FA cases and would practice my PEs while timed with flashcard cases. I even did Bate's Physical Exam book as if they were FA cases. I really put in as much effort as I could and must have gone through FA 3 times.

On the exam (I'll try to be as vague as possible not to expose anything we shouldn't discuss on the specific cases)

1. Completely bombed one station. I almost couldn't get ANY relevant positives or negatives. and I was so concerned on the note about synthesizing the information that I forgot to write PMH, FH, SH, surgical, meds etc. which were all not relevant anyway but still, I asked those and didn't write them in the note! My differentials were a mess too, naturally. So I bombed this case entirely start to finish. The encounter itself was awkward too, young curt patient and I didn't know what to make of it. I stayed professional and empathetic but clinically, it was a disaster. And it's ICE I fear!

2. My phone encounter was the same thing. VERY vague and limited information! Like fever, fussy, no to basically everything I would ask. I still put 3 DDX based on it being a pediatric case and having a vague stab at it with that information. But I was floored with such limited information considering last time my phone encounter had some VERY good pertinent positives which guided me. I wrote Viral Extanem although there was no rash, I meant Viral INFECTION with and wanted to list the specific virus, but the name just wouldn't come to mind under pressure

3. On another case I wrote MRI Arm instead of Xray Shoulder in the workup. I don't know.

4. For my second differential on one case I supported it all entirely as one DDX, then looked up and noticed I wrote a different but related DDX instead and ran out of time before I could change it. I was trying to hard to put in supporting evidence and make it look elegant and express my clinical reasoning, that I bombed the differential entirely. I didn't want to be sneaky and key in the last 3 letters and tried to take the honest approach and just leave it. But I'm just so upset.

5. In one case I forgot to ask smoking, tobacco or drug use. Well, I think I actually remembered to ask them, but forgot to write them. So when I saw I didn't write it, I didn't put it in the note purposefully just in case. I didn't want to fail that station for documenting something I might have forgotten to do, despite the fact I was fairly sure I asked and didn't write anything because it was a no to all 3. Still, I have failed this test once and refused to take any chances. I didn't necessarily feel those answers would have impacted my differentials anyway and were likely all "No" so I chose caution.

6. In at least 3 cases I forgot to document PE maneuvers I know I did, and I'm fairly sure I wrote some of them as evidence to back up my differentials but forgot to put them in the PE section because I was filling some notes bottom to top because I was so scared about the ICE section and left the HPI for last.

7. I was worried about ICE so I neglected an entire closure on one case for extra PE maneuvers. I even dropped the Otoscope and it went crashing into the wall.

8. I don't know why but any patient I did DTRs on had no response even to multiple strikes. I kept panicking. On one case I felt DTR was very much relevant on I actually documented it as diminished brachial DTR b/l - for example - because there was truly no response at all and I was shocked! I did DTR for completeness of the Neuro exam but never expected it to be absent and certainly not b/l even if it was. So I didn't know what to do. When we practiced, my friends would fake the DTR as there unless FA or the case warranted it to be absent. But in my exam I felt like it almost always was! I asked the SP "do you usually respond to this test when your primary care doctor performs it?" to be sure I wasn't hallucinating, but of course there wasn't any relevant information on that.

9. In one diminished DTR case I wish I had documented as absent instead of normal because I think it might have been relevant and should have been diminished. But again I bombed that case start to finish regardless.

I just don't know. If I could take one mistake back I wish I could have had 5 more seconds to type the correct DDX that I mixed up. I feel like I'm going to bomb that station which was otherwise rather good for me because I missed the clear-cut DDX but writing the wrong one by accident and neglecting to change the name until I finished supporting it… I had like 8 supporting points for the DDX I thought it was but couldn't change the name in time

I've been crying so much over this. I worked so hard and it was my second shot but I felt the exam was so much harder this time. Rougher cases and my mistakes on top of it all. I can't believe I bombed the most clear-cut DDX by writing SUBDURAL and supported it knowing it was EPIDURAL.

I just can't fail again. This experience is horrifying to me. I've spent so much time with my own imagination and worn out my friends trying to practice over and over… I want to get to my rotations again and learn from the patients at our hospital. I do feel thinking clinically on the CS was a helpful way to synthesize information quickly and I really do appreciate this experience for fostering that sort of approach. I'm not going to knock the exam or the process… but I just want to get back to medical school and learn what I can on my rotations. I'm praying so hard to put this experience behind me and hopefully pass but it feels so hopeless when I make mistakes like this.

Please, any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My mistakes must be really bad given the silence :( I suppose there's nothing reassuring about all this. I don't know how to clear this exam honestly. It feels so hopeless.

With that much work in preparation you put in you probably passed. Everyone here comes out saying they bombed, but invariable they pass. Just relax until you get the results. No point in worrying over something you can't control now. Did you study for or take CK before CS? I did and it helped me greatly with the differentials.

Reactions: 1 user
With that much work in preparation you put in you probably passed. Everyone here comes out saying they bombed, but invariable they pass. Just relax until you get the results. No point in worrying over something you can't control now. Did you study for or take CK before CS? I did and it helped me greatly with the differentials.
Thank you. I just don't know. I remember on one case I wrote Echo which was warranted, then deleted it thinking I should do an EKG first, and not get overzealous with ordering tests like FA does since I did that the first time and failed on ICE. So I deleted it but I wish I had kept it. Now I lost points I had on a section I failed before.

I just don't know honestly. I feel like my mistakes are very major and I fear I may have failed ICE once again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to update the internet and anyone reading this that I, thank God, have passed this exam despite my awful experience with mistakes. I passed with an Asterix in ICE and SEP, and high performance in CIS (which I had last time as well). My CIS dropped slightly because I compromised more of it to devote to ICE the second time. It paid off as I had failed ICE before and did well in CIS, so compromising some CIS was the right call (contrary to what most sources online suggest students do).

I will outline some suggestions and things I did to remedy my ICE failure for those scouring Google, as I did, for understanding in why and how students fail ICE, and what to do about it in time.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey Konda,

Congrats on passing - Could you please have a look at my recent post and tell me what you think as far as passing/failing goes. I am also freaking out and would like some feedback from someone who actually went on to pass the exam. Thanks!

Hello everyone - I've received a few messages regarding Step 2 CS advice. Sorry I've been falling behind. My aunt who raised me passed away 2 weeks before my CK re-take, and as expected I've fallen into a bit of a depression over my expected performance as I do feel I wasn't at my best. It's a nightmare to study so hard, know the material, then change answers at the last moment from ones you had correct, to wrong. Perhaps it was emotions from everything that happened, or test anxiety, lacking confidence - or all of it at once. All I can say is it appears like the CS, my CK is going to be another roller coaster journey through medicine - and I am praying for the best in the hopes of having passed. I'm also in a bit of a demanding rotation at the moment - but I promise to follow up with everyone and post soon with some advice for any readers out there re-taking the CS. As someone who did well on CIS both times and improved dramatically in ICE, which I originally failed, I'm happy to help as many as I can.

Please pray for me to pass CK - if I do I'll be able to start a blog on tacking the CS and all the tips I can provide. Thank you everyone for your questions!