Step 2 CS Retake and the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tardrive Synthesia

Reaction score
Learned yesterday I failed Step 2 CS:arghh:. Earliest retest date is in December with a score reporting period of Jan 30th - Feb 20th. Will this be early enough for residencies to still consider my application?

From my understanding, a majority of scores are released the first Wednesday of the reporting period (Jan 30th). Ranking begins on Jan 15th and end Feb 20th. Is this cutting it too close? I have several interviews already. Should I withdraw from the match?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, still a bit panicked from this setting in. Just highly concerned my CS results won’t arrive in time for ranking.

I was in a similar situation until yesterday and was told to get it in by the middle of February.

I would recommend being pro-active as I would think that most of my colleagues would look at these details closely. The thing we are most worried about is whether a person is able to function as a MD on July 1. Does your med school require it for graduation? If not, then you are already in better shape. Know this answer before your interviews. Also try to figure out what you did wrong to fail. Come up with a plan of what you are going to do about it. Bringing it up during the interview with the PD shows that you are pro-active and are trying to solve the problem. Not bringing it up suggests that you are running away from the issue. If I conclude the latter, the person drops down on my rank list.

Reactions: 1 user
Does CS even matter for ranking if you are USMD?
It does if you fail it. It's unlikely that we'll rank someone without both 2CK and 2CS passed by the rank deadline.
What if you fail it again? Will you graduate? Can you practice in our state?
Not to further raise the level of anxiety, but faced with an array of applicants that DID pass, and one that didn't--where do you think we should rank the one that didn't?

Assuming I pass the retake, will a prior fail weigh heavily against me while ranking. Some programs I have interviews at say “no USMLE failures”

Assuming I pass the retake, will a prior fail weigh heavily against me while ranking. Some programs I have interviews at say “no USMLE failures”
Yes it will. Which is why it is important to use the interview day to make a positive impression. Don't try too hard but make a good effort to sell yourself. Most medical students take the "recruitment" thing too seriously and don't make enough of an effort to put their best foot forward so you have the opportunity to stand out if you can do so in a way that is confident not arrogant, shows effort not desperation, and take the opportunity to show how you would be a great resident (i.e. easy to get along with, respectful, professional, enthusiastic, curious, eager to learn, good at doing what you're told). this will make a lot of difference. the CS failure will be taken into context with the rest of your application. if your clerkship grades aren't good or you come off poorly in person, then you're toast. your CS score really needs to come in by early feb at the latest. I would keep trying to switch your retake to as soon as is possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, still a bit panicked from this setting in. Just highly concerned my CS results won’t arrive in time for ranking.

I would consider adding more safety schools to your application. Competitive schools will want to see a 1st pass cs. Some will lower your rank if you release a failed score now or after passing.

I would just tell programs when your future cs date is and that you will update them accordingly.

Learned yesterday I failed Step 2 CS:arghh:. Earliest retest date is in December with a score reporting period of Jan 30th - Feb 20th. Will this be early enough for residencies to still consider my application?

From my understanding, a majority of scores are released the first Wednesday of the reporting period (Jan 30th). Ranking begins on Jan 15th and end Feb 20th. Is this cutting it too close? I have several interviews already. Should I withdraw from the match?

1. Take a look at this thread: Step 2 CS: Failed, Retook, and Matched!
2. There's a way on the CS signup website to receive an email every time certain CS dates open up in certain cities. There's quite a lot of shuffling around and this method allowed me to get the exact date and city I wanted! Let me know if you can't find it and I'll dig up specifics.