Step 2 cs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chichi18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received my Step 2 cs score. failed the CIS section. I am very confused about it given that i counsel, wash hands, draped patients. I am confused. I have already registered to do it again. Any advice. I took it in philadelphia. Most importantly, Should i submit my score now on Eras given that I have already completed interviews and my step 1 and step2ck are already in? I know i have to retransmit the transcript for the programs to get it. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I would absolutely NOT transmit your score. As far as I know, most programs dont require CS before ranking but you might need to check with all of those on your rank list. I would definitely hide that until you have a passing score to go along with it. If a program asks you then of course you can't lie but im sure there are plenty of people who just wont have a score back in time for ranking anyway so it will just look like you havent gotten a score yet.

Im sorry to hear that you failed. It really seems like people who have posted on here about failing usually took the test in Philly unfortunately.

Thank you for your reply. I'm sad and i have been going through stuff in my head and did everything. the only problem i think was the boots i wore but it was a dressing boot and it was for winter. would dress differently next.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I did. I gave dx, counseled, explained, draped, washed hands, everything. English is first language and I am AMG. I am believing to think that it was the way i dressed. Would just have to do it again but appropriately dressed. I am really shocked.

It probably is just something random, like how you dressed, but I would really put a lot of effort into the next round just in case...

If you fail again, there won't be time to repeat before graduation. No CS = no graduation at most schools. I would take a prep course with live patient encounters. See if your school will allow you to do extra OSCEs. Some schools have OSCEs as part of third year rotations (we had ones for family med and surgery) so they might let you join in too.

Also read through FA. It was helpful. Find a partner and do the FA cases with them before reading each solution.

BTW was this Phily? I heard they fail at much higher rates. Do your repeat somewhere else, like LA.

Yes, it was philly. Thank you very much for your advice and consolation. I'm just lying here, numb in bed. But I will wake up tomorrow and start studying again. Thanks a lot.

I have been going through the CIS section in Kaplan. Turns out there are some things I missed like transitioning phrases. I also don't remember seeing a white drape, So maybe I did not drape. I am glad I'm beginning to see these things as I now have an idea on what to improve on. Thank you.

I have been going through the CIS section in Kaplan. Turns out there are some things I missed like transitioning phrases. I also don't remember seeing a white drape, So maybe I did not drape. I am glad I'm beginning to see these things as I now have an idea on what to improve on. Thank you.

I am sorry that you had failed the CS exam ... it really really sucks. There is only 1 drape for the patient and it is located either on the stool or on the patient's lap so if you remember something covering the patient's lap, then you are all set. There is actually a really good post on the Step II portion of the forum detailing what a person needs to do to pass this portion of the exam. The person who wrote the thread had username anime with a bunch of numbers. Reread first aid for step 2 cs, practice with friends/yourself, and get a good night's sleep the day prior to the test.

Best of luck. This exam is exceptionally stupid.