Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does your store on Step 2 CS matter that much for a very competitive specialty (is it ok if you just hit the average score)? I ask because I'm trying to decide whether or not I should take CS right after clinical rotations but before Step 1 (we take step after clerkships). This way, I'll have clinical skills fresh in my mind and can go straight into step 2 CS. Is it an exam that requires a lot of studying or can I just study for a week and take it with no major problems?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no score for CS...

And no one cares!

Few people in my class took it in January of 3rd year. I took it November and I know two people in my class who took it after the match.

Most US students spend no more than a week preparing for CS... Some take it with no prep at all.

Last edited:
Does your store on Step 2 CS matter that much for a very competitive specialty (is it ok if you just hit the average score)? I ask because I'm trying to decide whether or not I should take CS right after clinical rotations but before Step 1 (we take step after clerkships). This way, I'll have clinical skills fresh in my mind and can go straight into step 2 CS. Is it an exam that requires a lot of studying or can I just study for a week and take it with no major problems?
It's pass/fail... doesn't matter how "high" you score. You should study for it, but not a ton especially if you've been doing standardized patient exams during clerkships. Just use the first aid step 2 C's book and practice on your typing skills and practicing your physical exam. Practice how you'll organize your note when you see the patient and type it up. 1 week would be enough, yes. Doesn't really matter what order, take it at your convenience. As long as it's before you apply for residency you'll be Gucci. Idk if you mean step 2 CK and not step 1 since most take step 1 before clerkships...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! I didn't know it was P/F. I've been doing full H&Ps on my medicine rotation and feel comfortable doing them. Is Step 2 CS hard to pass or is it pretty easy to pass as long as you know how to do a thorough H&P?

It's not hard to pass... You have to know how to do and H&P and come up with differentials, order test and counseling.

Thanks guys! I didn't know it was P/F. I've been doing full H&Ps on my medicine rotation and feel comfortable doing them. Is Step 2 CS hard to pass or is it pretty easy to pass as long as you know how to do a thorough H&P?

It is more a test on SOAP than H&P. I wouldn't recommend taking it until you have some clinical basis.

Reactions: 1 users