Step 2 for Family Medicine necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LostPuppy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Somewhere along this year I decided to make the switch to the FM. I was just wondering if its necessary for me to take step 2 in addition to level 2 because I honestly don't want to have to study for two tests again if I don't have to. If this looks bad ill definitely take both.

Step 1: Low 230s
Comlex: 600s

Members don't see this ad.

Your high COMLEX scores alone will land you where you desire

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No, that would be a waste of time. You'll likely do better in COMLEX and they'll assume the same would have happened with the step

No, that would be a waste of time. You'll likely do better in COMLEX and they'll assume the same would have happened with the step
Pretty much what I was thinking. Actually studying OMM would do wonders to my score. Thanks!

Midwest FM will take middling COMLEX scores alone. Step 1 in the 230s is great. Unless a program explicitly requires DOs to take Step 2 you're solid.

I skipped Step 2 (took Level 2) with slightly lower Step 1 and Comlex scores than you, on recommendation from some posters here. Got more than enough interviews, matched to my #1 at a stellar Midwest program. No need to waste the money.

Reactions: 2 users