LordATPSynthase

PGY3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hopefully these Qs belong in this forum.

I am MS3 (near the end). Will be starting residency 2013.

ARE the step 2 CK vs. CS scores released INDEPENDENTLY of each other?

I am thinking of taking CK in July 2012 (soon) but delaying CS till later this year so that the score for CS may not be available until Feb 2013. [There would be no conflicts with my medical school requirements.]

I need to make sure that the CK will be made available as soon as it is graded vs. waiting for the CS component (thus screwing me). I probably should know this but I don't. My guess is that they are reported as separate scores as soon as they become available.

The other question related to this is that will me not taking CS till Nov 2012 or something and not having that score till Feb 2013 matter during interviews/the match? If CK is reported as it becomes available, and IF I can release it to ERAS/residency programs early, then will the program directors care that much about the empty CS?

Thanks

PMPMD

4G MD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2001
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician

I am thinking of taking CK in July 2012 (soon) but delaying CS till later this year so that the score for CS may not be available until Feb 2013. [There would be no conflicts with my medical school requirements.]

I need to make sure that the CK will be made available as soon as it is graded vs. waiting for the CS component (thus screwing me). I probably should know this but I don't. My guess is that they are reported as separate scores as soon as they become available.

The other question related to this is that will me not taking CS till Nov 2012 or something and not having that score till Feb 2013 matter during interviews/the match? If CK is reported as it becomes available, and IF I can release it to ERAS/residency programs early, then will the program directors care that much about the empty CS?

Thanks
They are reported separately but CS is only reported as pass/fail.

Apr 19, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As stated above, they will be released independently of each other. If I recall correctly, CS took way longer than CK.

Perhaps I am reading a bit into your post, but it seems like you are more worried about CS than CK. CS is the easiest step exam you will ever take. I promise. You literally just need to show up. It was originally designed to ensure that FMGs could communicate adequately and follow U.S. medical customs. Show up, see your patients, write your notes, give a decent differential and you will be 100% fine. It's just reported as Pass or Fail and nothing else. There is no score that is associated with it. With respect to residency, it really depends on what you are applying to. Certain specialties such as radiology have no interest in your step 2 scores, whereas others like IM definitely want to see step 2. I would hazard a guess that CS does not play a major factor since everyone passes and you can't do better than anyone else.

Regarding CS preparation, read the first chapter of First Aid for CS on the train or plane over to your site and then close the book. You are adequately prepared.

If you elect to take it in November and you are asked about it, just tell them that it was the earliest date you could get at your site. That is a completely reasonable statement.

Best of luck!

Thanks

About the Ads

LordATPSynthase

PGY3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As stated above, they will be released independently of each other. If I recall correctly, CS took way longer than CK.

Perhaps I am reading a bit into your post, but it seems like you are more worried about CS than CK. CS is the easiest step exam you will ever take. I promise. You literally just need to show up. It was originally designed to ensure that FMGs could communicate adequately and follow U.S. medical customs. Show up, see your patients, write your notes, give a decent differential and you will be 100% fine. It's just reported as Pass or Fail and nothing else. There is no score that is associated with it. With respect to residency, it really depends on what you are applying to. Certain specialties such as radiology have no interest in your step 2 scores, whereas others like IM definitely want to see step 2. I would hazard a guess that CS does not play a major factor since everyone passes and you can't do better than anyone else.

Regarding CS preparation, read the first chapter of First Aid for CS on the train or plane over to your site and then close the book. You are adequately prepared.

If you elect to take it in November and you are asked about it, just tell them that it was the earliest date you could get at your site. That is a completely reasonable statement.

Best of luck!
Yeah I think with the recommended prep I should be fine with CS. My step 1 was excellent and my step 2 CK score SHOULD be sent with my ERAS initially (I'll take it july 2012). So I'm just hoping my lack of Step 2 CS by interview (and maybe even rank time?) won't affect me much. I'm looking into Internal Medicine at top 10-15 hospital[system] so who knows... I've emailed the contact for the program (that FREIDA shows) to check their opinion on CS timing.

With my Step 1 (and perhaps CK too), I'm hoping I'm extremely competitive so that the lack of CS won't hurt me but who knows.

Thanks!

b-real

What, me worry?
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2001
at a place called vertigo
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah I think with the recommended prep I should be fine with CS. My step 1 was excellent and my step 2 CK score SHOULD be sent with my ERAS initially (I'll take it july 2012). So I'm just hoping my lack of Step 2 CS by interview (and maybe even rank time?) won't affect me much. I'm looking into Internal Medicine at top 10-15 hospital[system] so who knows... I've emailed the contact for the program (that FREIDA shows) to check their opinion on CS timing.

With my Step 1 (and perhaps CK too), I'm hoping I'm extremely competitive so that the lack of CS won't hurt me but who knows.

Thanks!
This should be fine for most programs. However, I know that UCSF requires ck and cs before they rank you.

RestoreSight

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Thanks!
STEP 2 CS is SUPER easy. Why not just get both out of the way? I did CK on a Friday, then CS the following Monday. Its great to have both behind you early in 4th year.

About the Ads