Step 2 score transmission after interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timmyjhype

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an idiot.

I have obtained 9 interviews in general surgery. I selected "YES" by mistake to retransmission of USMLE scores. I just took step 2 and got a 204. My score on step 1 was 219. This means that the programs where I have interviews already will see my crappy step 2 score. Will this score severely damage my application or will the programs tend to overlook it as most applicants don't even submit step 2 scores? Does the fact that I have interviews already make a difference in this situation? I didn't study very hard for it and I just shouldn't have selected "YES" for retransmission.

I'm interviewing at Duke, Wash U, Columbia, Chicago, Brown, and some other medium places.

I need some serious consolation....

Members don't see this ad.

According to what I've heard and read, Step 1 scores are considered more important than Step 2 scores for surgery residencies. They are also probably more of a screening tool, so since you've already gotten the interviews at strong programs based on your Step 1 score, focus on impressing them in person and you should be fine.

Given the difference in the means on the exams....isn't a 219 on step 1 kinda the same as a 204 on step 2? i.e. isn't the mean on step 2 around 15 points lower than on step 1?