Step 2 scores worse than Step 1 - How much does it hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SFX

canonized
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did pretty well on step 1. My scores on Step 2 are roughly one standard deviation worse. How much will that hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

SFX said:
I did pretty well on step 1. My scores on Step 2 are roughly one standard deviation worse. How much will that hurt me?
Depends on two things:
(1) How well did you do on Step 1?
(2) What are you applying for?

Point #1 - If you scored let's say 260 on Step 1 and a 245 on Step 2 (is the Standard Dev still ~15?), then it shouldn't hurt you regardless of what you are applying for. If you scored 225 on Step 1 and a 210 on Step 2, yeah this could hurt you IF...

Point #2 - IF you applying to a competitive specialty like rads or derm, a significantly lower step 2 score is just one more excuse a program has to ding an applicant where there are so many strong applicants to begin with. If you're applying for a less competitive specialty like FP or Path...don't stress out too much.

Addendum:

That all being said, I don't think a one STD differential is that much of a big deal. I know a guy who scored 50 points lower on Step 2 than on Step 1; luckily he took Step 2 after rank order lists were due but I could only imagine what things would've been like had he took Step 2 in time for programs to see.

232 to 210. Residency is in the mid range for competitivness. This will be on the table before the ranktime.

Yeah, I know it's not good. The question is HOW bad is it. What's the damage?

SFX said:
232 to 210. Residency is in the mid range for competitivness. This will be on the table before the ranktime.

Yeah, I know it's not good. The question is HOW bad is it. What's the damage?

Not terrible. If your grades are acceptable and your personality good. You'll be ok.

SFX said:

It all depends on the specialty you're going into....

BKN said:
Not terrible. If your grades are acceptable and your personality good. You'll be ok.

Thanks, BKN. :cool:

Methyldopa said:
It all depends on the specialty you're going into....

General Surgery