step 2 secrets 4e vs 3e?

Discussion in 'Step II' started by Doc2b82, 05.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Doc2b82

Doc2b82 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    is it worth it to buy the newest edition? 3rd edition is I think from 2010 and the newest one from 2013?

Anyone have any idea about if theres any major differences?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Doc2b82

Doc2b82 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    nooone?

4. SMC123

SMC123 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would really like to know about this tio

5. Doc2b82

Doc2b82 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    still wondering if anyone has any input on this?

6. Wolverines83

Wolverines83 ASA Member 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had third for third year and bought fourth for step 2. I'd say they're 90 % the same although I didn't make it a point to compare. About the only thing I can think of that's different is fourth has new pap smear guidelines (21 vs onset of serial activity). Other than that there literally nothing I can think of that's any different. Not saying there isn't. Just that it didn't jump out at me. Beyond preventative guidelines I can't really think of much that changes year to year anyway

DermViser, Doc2b82 and SMC123 like this.
  7. Wolverines83

Wolverines83 ASA Member 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sexual not serial... Although for some serial might be a good descriptor

8. thedoctor8706

thedoctor8706 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've been using 4th edition and loved it thus far, though I can't say I've read the 3rd edition to compare. I have noticed a few typos that snuck through, and one conceptual error (says "in hypospadias, the urethra opens on the dorsal (under) side of the penis"). But overall, it's been a great book for review, very concise and in the Q/A-Bullet format I like.

9. lordman

lordman 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Bump

10. drake19

drake19 5+ Year Member

I would definitely get the 4th edition because of some minor updates and new chapters...for example there is a radiology section that lays out screening tests / confirmation tests for diagnoses from all organ systems.

I used step 2 secrets throughout M3 year for shelf exams and personally didn't really find any of their "secrets" on any of the shelf exams. I just read it b/c it was the fastest way to get through a topic and some of the questions were pimp questions.

I think my problem with step 2 secrets is that it doesn't ask the question in a "USMLE sytle" if that makes any sense. And some chapters are severely lacking material - i.e. Peds, Emergency Medicine. So basically it is not a very comprehensive book for step 2

Nevertheless I guess it is a good option if you get tired of UWORLD or your other resources and want some relaxxing material

Doc2b82 likes this.

About the ads