Step 2 Secrets vs. Crush Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rrreagan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

What's everyone take on these 2 books, Crush Step 2 and Step 2 Secrets, both written by Adam Brochert?

Are they more or less equivalent?

Members don't see this ad.

I have had Crush the Boards recommended to me...and that is what I am going to use...I have heard from a few people that it is excellent...

I am not sure about the other one.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Crush the board for step 2. I scored 248/99, not as high as my step 1 score, but good enough for me.

I also used Q-bank and NMS question book.

Boards and Wards, Kaplan QBank, NMS. Took step 2, did well. However, heard good things about the other ones too. basically pick one main background book and stick with it (B&W, First Aid, whatever) and do LOTS of questions. Most people I know did in the ballpark of their step 1 scores.

Bumping because I am curious as to others' opinions...

I bought the Step 2 Secrets book and I am wondering, what is the difference between it and the Crush the Boards book, considering they are by the same author?

Not much.

A lot of similar information is covered in both books. Many of the figures, charts and tables are identical.

I think Brochert is pushing Crush Step 2 over Step 2 Secrets, for whatever reason.

I like Step 2 Secrets because of the Q & A format. While I haven't really studied much from "Crush the Boards" my understanding is that they are both pretty much the same material in different formats.

I've been studying out of books that just feed me the info for the past several years so it all makes sense--I can answer the questions correctly on a multiple choice exam. But now that I'm out in rotations I don't get multiple choice and I have to recall things from memory, which apparently I suck at. I am taking a new step in my education and testing myself on my knowledge to see if I can pull it out of my head. Secrets is set up so that I can test myself on recall of knowledge in a very specific way--similar to treating patients.

That's my 2 cents. I guess it just depends on how you study best.:D

I made the mistake of buying both-They are essentally the same. I used the Crush because it had more room for notes in the margins and more pix.

I used NMS for ?'s and did the test modules on the USMLE website.

I read through Rx for the Boards over the last few days and actually liked it the best-More picutures, better details, better organized.

In the end 244/99.

Good luck-
B