Step 2 timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When should I take Step 2???

• Before submitting ERAS

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • After submitting ERAS

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Bobcat18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're really concerned, take it before submitting, but late enough that you'll get the results by the 15th-ish. This year they're opening the app early for you to submit between Sept 6th and 14th and for it to all say submitted Sept 15, so if you release and submit the USMLE score report on the 6th, and then say you get the score back on the 14th, you have the opportunity to decide if you want to re-release the USMLE score report or not.

Basically, you could try and take it the last week of August, and then you probably won't get the result until after ERAS opens.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying next year but thanks for the advice!

If you're really concerned, take it before submitting, but late enough that you'll get the results by the 15th-ish. This year they're opening the app early for you to submit between Sept 6th and 14th and for it to all say submitted Sept 15, so if you release and submit the USMLE score report on the 6th, and then say you get the score back on the 14th, you have the opportunity to decide if you want to re-release the USMLE score report or not.

Basically, you could try and take it the last week of August, and then you probably won't get the result until after ERAS opens.

I'm applying next year but thanks for the advice!

When do you have medicine rotation? I had medicine in March-April and chose to take my step 2 the first weekend in June. This meant that I didn't have to double study because CK is like 80% medicine so studying for the medicine shelf did double duty. I'm also a person who gets more and more anxious until something is over, so I tend to do things as early as feasible. I am the opposite of a procrastinator lol, I had ERAS filled out 2 days after it opened because I can't emotionally stand things not being done when they can be. So I also took it early to decrease my own anxiety.

If you legit feel like you need to have a score to apply optho, take it early, have the score.

Last edited:
I've actually already taken medicine haha I've heard that most people who apply Ophtho don't take Step 2 before submitting their application and that ophtho PD's care more about Step 1. But for general surgery I heard Step 2 is becoming increasingly weighted which is why I'm concerned about delaying step 2. If I have a good step 1 for general surgery would you recommend taking step 2 or would you wait until submitting the application?

Do you think you can do better? Will you have time to study before submission or do you need to take a bunch of early optho sub-Is?

Reactions: 1 user
I would get it over with, especially if you've been doing well all year

Great- thanks so much for all the advice everyone!

Some people take it at the end of third year after core clerkships are over, and others take it early in 4th year. It's up to you, but considering you did so well on Step 1, you're probably fine to consider taking it a bit later versus earlier. Good luck!

I say get it over with. I did well on step 1 as well, and I had this question at some point. But I wound up doing even better on step 2 despite feeling like there was no way that would happen.

There's no way to overstate how awesome it is to be done with all of your exams by the start of 4th year and have nothing to worry about but submitting ERAS.

Reactions: 1 user