5+ Year Member
- Jun 12, 2014
- Medical Student
If you're really concerned, take it before submitting, but late enough that you'll get the results by the 15th-ish. This year they're opening the app early for you to submit between Sept 6th and 14th and for it to all say submitted Sept 15, so if you release and submit the USMLE score report on the 6th, and then say you get the score back on the 14th, you have the opportunity to decide if you want to re-release the USMLE score report or not.
Basically, you could try and take it the last week of August, and then you probably won't get the result until after ERAS opens.
When do you have medicine rotation? I had medicine in March-April and chose to take my step 2 the first weekend in June. This meant that I didn't have to double study because CK is like 80% medicine so studying for the medicine shelf did double duty. I'm also a person who gets more and more anxious until something is over, so I tend to do things as early as feasible. I am the opposite of a procrastinator lol, I had ERAS filled out 2 days after it opened because I can't emotionally stand things not being done when they can be. So I also took it early to decrease my own anxiety.I'm applying next year but thanks for the advice!
Do you think you can do better? Will you have time to study before submission or do you need to take a bunch of early optho sub-Is?I've actually already taken medicine haha I've heard that most people who apply Ophtho don't take Step 2 before submitting their application and that ophtho PD's care more about Step 1. But for general surgery I heard Step 2 is becoming increasingly weighted which is why I'm concerned about delaying step 2. If I have a good step 1 for general surgery would you recommend taking step 2 or would you wait until submitting the application?