Step 2CK and Step 3 for Fellowships??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ophthalmology2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
In my experience, step scores are not that important for fellowship match. Some places will ask that you also submit OKAP scores but really, they just want to make sure whoever they take for fellowship will pass the ophthalmology boards. I just went through the fellowship match for surgical retina, which is relatively competitive and I thought the top factors that will decide whether you get into the best fellowship programs are
1. recommendation letters - who are your mentors and will they call to say how amazing you are?
2. research, research, research - the applicants I met at the top places were there because they had amazing research and publications. Presentations at conferences the fall of your application, getting name recognition with fellowship directors, all these things help more than exam scores.
3. name recognition of residency program - top fellowship programs tend to interview and accept many of the applicants from the top residency programs (they were probably amazing to begin with). But you can overcome a mid-tier residency program by being a research superstar.

Sure, study hard and get good scores. But I wouldn't kill myself trying to get 250+ on step 3 or 99th percentile on OKAPs every year. Meaning, if you had to choose between studying for the entire year and doing little else, versus studying but not that intensely so you have time for research and publications, I would choose the latter.

Good luck!

Focus more on research, recommendation letters, and networking. Whether you may like it or not, networking with other fellowship directors is important to get on their radar.

No one really cares about OKAP scores to be honest. Heck they don't even care that much if you do well on the boards. All they care about is that you work hard, you get along with everyone, and when you graduate, you have the clinical and surgical skills reflective of their training that will make them proud of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there - sorry not to hijack this thread. I'm a canadian ophthalmology resident interested in surgical retina fellowships in the states.
When people mention research, how many publications is considered a "lot"?

Hi there - sorry not to hijack this thread. I'm a canadian ophthalmology resident interested in surgical retina fellowships in the states.
When people mention research, how many publications is considered a "lot"?

Depends on who you talk to; there's not a set number. It's a combination of quality vs quantity. Having 1-2 publications in a major journal (AAO blue journal, Retina, Jama Ophth, etc.) will probably be considered a lot more than 5-6 research projects/case reports in throwaway or low impact journals. If you're in Canada, I do think fellowships tend to be more receptive to Canadian applicants (especially if you're planning on going back).

Thanks so much! And does authorship matter? For instance, I'm fourth author on a JAMA ophthalmology publication but my first author pubs are in journals that are a bit lower impact (ex. Ophthalmology Retina, Retina, etc).
I'm definitely planning on going back.
This is again (sorry!) a dumb question but is there a list of surgical retina fellowships that need the USMLE?

In my experience, step scores are not that important for fellowship match. Some places will ask that you also submit OKAP scores but really, they just want to make sure whoever they take for fellowship will pass the ophthalmology boards. I just went through the fellowship match for surgical retina, which is relatively competitive and I thought the top factors that will decide whether you get into the best fellowship programs are
1. recommendation letters - who are your mentors and will they call to say how amazing you are?
2. research, research, research - the applicants I met at the top places were there because they had amazing research and publications. Presentations at conferences the fall of your application, getting name recognition with fellowship directors, all these things help more than exam scores.
3. name recognition of residency program - top fellowship programs tend to interview and accept many of the applicants from the top residency programs (they were probably amazing to begin with). But you can overcome a mid-tier residency program by being a research superstar.

Sure, study hard and get good scores. But I wouldn't kill myself trying to get 250+ on step 3 or 99th percentile on OKAPs every year. Meaning, if you had to choose between studying for the entire year and doing little else, versus studying but not that intensely so you have time for research and publications, I would choose the latter.

Good luck!

This message x 10000000000!!

I also went through the match this year for retina and the above poster is totally right. Read this article

What You Always Wanted to Know About the Retina Fellowship Match (PART I): GETTING THE INTERVIEW

Basically, if you go to a lower tier program with mentors that aren’t involved in the national community or don’t have contacts at other programs, you are at a disadvantage. If your program puts out 0 to few publications per year you’re also at a disadvantage, because how are you gonna publish?

Reading this article, you get the sense that programs care WHO says you are great.

How can you overcome some of these road blocks?

1) do an away rotation at a better recognized program. Even just to go for a week and establish a relationship with a mentor elsewhere, then you can work on research with those people at a distance.

2) if you can’t go away, can you find a hybrid or private type practice in your nearby surroundings that is nationally known or well-connected?

3) if all else fails, attend meetings, put yourself out there best you can. Even if it’s just to present a case at a smaller retina meeting - it’s a way to meet people and showcase presentation skills.

I was very fortunate to match to retina and become part of this amazing community. It’s definitely a competitive process, if you go to a program like I described above, you should apply broadly and consider increasing your chances by being proactive. The sooner you recognize any of these obstacles, the better you can plan for the match.

Good luck !!