Step 2CK Lower than Step 1...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johndoe3344

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think most IM programs want to see your Step 2 score as well. Maybe ask your advisor or one of the PDs in the forum. I can't imagine it hurting you much, but I'm not the one looking at apps...

transmit. shouldn't matter... and, i hear some PD's like to see the CK score before they rank.

but 243 these days is... average? just food for thought.

A quick question. I got a 250 for Step 1 and I just checked my score report today and got a 243 for 2CK. I'm worried about the drop in the score.

Should I transmit my 2CK to programs, or should I wait until after interviews are over?

yes, you clown. :thumbdown:

Thats too small a drop for anyone to really care. You're over 240 on both, good enough.

238 is the average for Step 2 CK now, so 240 is the equivalent of getting a 224 on Step 1.

It's a huge drop if you're comparing percentiles. He'd need to have scored 255ish to have an equivalent percentile.

I'd hide the score.

Transmit. That's like getting 1 more question wrong and essentially irrelevant.

Okay, maybe PDs aren't aware of the percentile differences between Step 1 and Step 2 CK.

The guy basically went from scoring a standard deviation above the mean on Step 1 to average on Step 2 CK. In other words he went from 84th percentile to 50th percentile. It's a huge drop. It's not just a single question difference.

238 is the average for Step 2 CK now, so 240 is the equivalent of getting a 224 on Step 1.

It's a huge drop if you're comparing percentiles. He'd need to have scored 255ish to have an equivalent percentile.

I'd hide the score.

Chances are most programs aren't placing filters of 250 anyways.

Okay, maybe PDs aren't aware of the percentile differences between Step 1 and Step 2 CK.

The guy basically went from scoring a standard deviation above the mean on Step 1 to average on Step 2 CK. In other words he went from 84th percentile to 50th percentile. It's a huge drop. It's not just a single question difference.

Really? You think PDs don't know basic information like average board scores that anyone with a score report know?

Really? You think PDs don't know basic information like average board scores that anyone with a score report know?

I think this thread well demonstrates that people see the equivalency between Step 1 and Step 2 CK more on terms of 1:1 than anything else. Case in point - CDI saying you're good on both if you're "240+". But you really need to score 14+ points higher than your Step 1 to get the same percentile score. A 240 Step 2 CK still may feel like a high score to older PDs who aren't aware of the rapid score inflation.

I think this thread well demonstrates that people see the equivalency between Step 1 and Step 2 CK more on terms of 1:1 than anything else. Case in point - CDI saying you're good on both if you're "240+". But you really need to score 14+ points higher than your Step 1 to get the same percentile score. A 240 Step 2 CK still may feel like a high score to older PDs who aren't aware of the rapid score inflation.

If your already in the 260's on step 1 you cant really go up on step 2. I think more people get in the 240s-250s for step 2. I think after you get around 250 it is a 1:1 ratio, however your point is valid for scores under those.

Because suddenly a 4th year IMG knows as much as a seasoned PD