Step 3 advices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fungusflu

Guess what fungus it is!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

I just got my score today and I PASSED. Actually, I passed surprisingly well even though I thought I failed. I got 58% on UW but got 237/99 on my real exam (that's including doing the exam empty-stomach the first day since I forgot to bring food... I was seeing stars by the end of the day!). I think it's really important to do well on CCS since it counts for 25% and is by far the easier of the 2 poritons. I went over all the CCS quesitons on UW twice. I got child abuse presenting as decreased LOC, pregnancy presenting as UTI, overdose on morphine, COPD exaceberation, ruptured AAA, DKA, colon ca, essential HTN in a young obese patient on my exam. As for MCQ, there's not much you can do to prepare for it other than clinical rotations but I read through Crash Step 3 twice and did 60% of UW questions. I would recommend First Aids fro step 3 though since it's more organised/less errors/contains CCS cases. It took me about 1 mo of 3-4 hour studying per day. I am a pathology resident so if I can do it, you can too! Good luck to you all and happy Christmas!

Members don't see this ad.

I forgot to mention that the CCS cases may terminate before you send patient home if you've done enough of the appropriate management. I just left the final order as if the patient is still in the hospital but D/Ced all the unessary intervention/tests if the patient is stable enough. I also made sure I did all the counselling either before the case ends or as part of the final order (smoking cessation, limit ETOH intake, exercise, stress reduciton, seatbelt use, med side effect counselling even though the patient has no indication for them i.e. non-smoker, not obese, coming for diarreha ect).