Step 3 CCS - I don't get it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEN2C

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO I am doing the uworld cases and I am not sure how to use the software for some of this stuff.

For example, for a pregnant patients, it says you should counsel patients for precautions for listeria. Great! But when I go in and try to do that, I can't find anything - just 'pregnancy counseling'.

Same thing for setting up appointments - it says to set appointments every two weeks - how do I set up appointments every two weeks from now until end of pregnancy?

I feel the cases end fast and then I have two minutes to do all this weird stuff and I can't find any of it!! What am I missing?

Also, do 'prenatal vitamins' also include folate, iron, etc? Or do I do it separately?

I am just using pregnancy as an example. The other cases have similar things going on - where it tells you to do all of these things and I feel like I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Men2C, I am totally in your boat. There are some things under "Approach" for some cases, namely the one you mentioned, that advise to include things like biweekly appointments, listeria counseling, etc but there is no way to order it during the actual scenario. I don't understand either. I figured maybe those things under "Approach" are for general knowledge and not to for use on the CCS. The fact that the "Scoring" and "Clock management" screens dont have the listeria counseling and appointment scheduling information makes me think we do not need it for CCS. But i'd love any feedback from others.

If you think the cases end early on UW wait until you take the actual CCS. Lol. There were multiple times when I ordered an imaging study and the case ended or I ordered labs and the 2 min screen popped up and had to guess on the diagnosis.

Just remember biggest factors include: 1) are they in the appropriate setting (ex: a chronic alcoholic who is currently having hematemesis shouldn't be sitting on the exam table in your clinic), 2) are you ordering the appropriate labs/images, following the usual algorithms and are you taking into consideration other pertinent aspects of your patient (are you trying to CT abdomen a pregnant woman or giving contrast to someone in acute renal failure) 3) are they receiving adequate care. If they're NPO, and there's no contraindication give them fluids. If they have an injury or are in pain give them pain meds. If they're febrile give them acetaminophen. You get the point. Basically while you're trying to figure out the diagnosis keep your patient in mind. 4) That counseling about listeria seems way too specific I would follow the usual ones you see at the end of CCS cases on UW.

so honestly if you practice the UW cases for CCS you will do fine.

Last edited: