Step 3- how long?/did you pass?/etc, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foxxy Cleopatra

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just took Step 3 this past week and I have a few questions:

1. How long did it take for you to get the results back?

2. Do you get different scores for the multiple choice and the clinical skills, or is it lumped all together in one score?

3. Do you know of anyone out there that failed? I had very little time to study and didn't exactly find it easy. Granted, I am a few years into a surgery residency and I don't deal with a lot of primary care issues such as how often to feed babies at 6 months, treating depression, family planning, etc.

I was very busy and only read Crush and some of Appelton & Lange's question book; I found it to be a very primary care-oriented test. Anyways, I did well on Step 1 and Step 2 but also had time to study back then. All I ask is I got a point or 2 above the pass mark and I'll be a happy camper!

Any stories of reassurance from busy residents that managed to pass this thing? :(

Members don't see this ad.

I just took it a couple of weeks ago:

also took it monday/tuesday. Took 3 weeks for scores to be reported and mailed. I believe they are always reported on wednesdays.

score is all lumped together with back page of report giving similar information as in Step 1 and 2.

My score was similar to previous scores - you will be fine. :thumbup:

Foxxy Cleopatra said:
Hi guys,

I just took Step 3 this past week and I have a few questions:

1. How long did it take for you to get the results back?

took it monday tuesday

2. Do you get different scores for the multiple choice and the clinical skills, or is it lumped all together in one score?

3. Do you know of anyone out there that failed? I had very little time to study and didn't exactly find it easy. Granted, I am a few years into a surgery residency and I don't deal with a lot of primary care issues such as how often to feed babies at 6 months, treating depression, family planning, etc.

I was very busy and only read Crush and some of Appelton & Lange's question book; I found it to be a very primary care-oriented test. Anyways, I did well on Step 1 and Step 2 but also had time to study back then. All I ask is I got a point or 2 above the pass mark and I'll be a happy camper!

Any stories of reassurance from busy residents that managed to pass this thing? :(