USMLE Step 3 in 2 days, have a couple Qs about CCS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Central_SOULcus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, taking the exam this Monday and Wednesday. Not gonna lie, I'm kinda nervous about it. Anyway, I've been trying to do the Uworld interactive cases, and I have a couple questions. Thanks in advance for any advice!

1. What does it mean when the case pop-up window says something like "The patient hopes the treatment will improve his symptoms" ? (I don't remember the exact wording.) I figured it meant there's something I'm missing, but for instance, I was doing the hypertensive emergency case and had ordered everything major i was supposed to (like immed. IV access, cardiac and bp monitor, phys exam, then CT head, pertinent labs; nitroprusside iv once the CT came back clear, transferred to ICU, etc...), and with each update it kept saying "the patient hopes blah blah..." (multiple times until the 8 minutes ran out!) I did the case again from the beginning, and did pretty much the same things, but this time the pop-up window said something like "The patient reports his headache and nausea has improved." I feel like on the actual test, I'd want to see the second scenario, because the first one makes me think I'm not doing it right. What's the difference? Why the "hopeful" patient vs the "improved" patient if I did the same orders both times?

2. I've heard a few people say on the actual test, when you put an order in, there's no selection for routine vs stat. I see on Uworld when you order anything, it pops up and has you select either "routine" or "stat." Not a big deal, but when you're ordering several things (and with laggy software that people have mentioned), each click counts.

Urgh, can't wait for this to be done! Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.