Step 3 mandatory by end of PGY-1 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imthere

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning everyone. So my program has this mandatory requirement to take step 3 by the end of our pgy-1 year. They just want an attempt by the end of first year and if you fail you can re-take it within 6 months one time.
I guess my issue is that I would rather just take the exam once when I feel more prepared which would be a couple months from now. Would my program know if I just didn't take step 3, and waited a month or two after pgy-1 year to take the exam?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you do on Step 1 and 2? What's your specialty? You know very few people fail Step 3 (6% of US MD residents). The requirements depend on your residency though it is the same for most categorical residencies. In order to get a full license it is a requirement.

I did fine on those 2 exams 238, 253. Specialty is IM. Im more curious as to if the results are automatically shared with the program, and would they know if I took it in august as opposed to june. The contract states we must have an attempt to take it within the first year. Id rather just take it once and do well then even barely pass, but seems like the program would rather me just take it and if I do fail retake it within a 6 month period.

I think are worrying way too much as you will have no difficulty in passing the exam. (I'm assuming you are a US medical grad though you didn't clarify that). The whole point of finishing Step 3 early is so you worry about more important things in your residency like learning your specialty and board exam. If you don't finish by the end of PGY-1 I don't think you'll get kicked out of the program but you'll make your residency coordinator/PD unhappy if the rules are to take it by the end of PGY-1. They might consider not renewing your contract if you are supposed to take it by end of PGY-1. You could ask your coordinator this type of question as they are the best to give you advice here. Time is running out on the end of your PGY-1 year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just take it and get it over with. Your medical training actually doesn't prepare you for the steps. You also need to remember Step 3 is over ALL of medicine. While IM is an encompassing field, pediatrics, surgery, and OB are largely missing.

We have the same policy but have made exceptions with certain circumstances.

Our GME office requires us to submit a Step 3 score report for our file so yeah they'll know if you took it or not. May vary by program.

At this point you may be too late to take it by the end of the month so you should start talking to your program coordinator about it.

Doing well on step 3 is not that hard if u know how to study for it.

I'm going to send u a message.

for tips on passing step 3 (i've got some sources to get you there) and --basically that you have to fit into the system as it stands now-..GL for your residency--YOU CAN DO IT-i..e, I DID (eml enycity at gmail for those compilations)