Step 3: Push it back or take the plunge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Menacer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a Canadian IMG, graduated from a Carib school in 2015. Failed to match (failed CK on my first attempt, got a 244 on my re-take in Dec 2014) and I'm currently re-applying for the match. Stats are 221/244(2)/CS first pass.

I've been studying for Step 3 for a while now in hopes of boosting my chances for a match this cycle, and I finished the entire UWorld Bank with a ~60% average about a month ago and then took UWSA. Scored a 191. This was about three weeks ago. Since then I've been pounding away at my marked/incorrect questions and been through the CCS cases on UWorld once but still feel inadequately prepared (still come across concepts/explanations on UWorld that I had completely not considered) - but I read on this forum about how most residents take this thing with just a few weeks of prep while working a loaded schedule and I've definitely put in more time than that.

Now I'm scheduled to take the actual test next week and am having doubts if I should take it or push it back - especially with all the added worry of what another attempt would do to my chances of matching. My motivations for taking it are simply to boost my chances of obtaining a residency match, and since I have the time now I'd rather get it over with than take it during my PGY-1 year. However, I also don't want another failure on my record (and I am a bit unsure of what impact a Step 3 failure would have on my residency application).

Just looking for any possible advice/feedback and whether it's better to play it safe or take the plunge and push ahead with this thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I just took step 3 last week and it is tough.
Most residents take it with less studying time b/c they do medicine everyday! So basically everyday they are trained on mananagement, prognosis and risk for most things.

I would take NMBE 4 exam - some questions from there were used on the real exam
Archer CS is great for Ccs and Ya u world cccs is great but archer CS videos guide u how to use it the best
Make sure you know treatment, risk, prognosis, and management of everything.
U world bio stats help.