step 3 score joining match for IM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giants500

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
n/a

Members don't see this ad.

giants500 said:
I need some advice...I am currently a PGY2 and looking to switch into IM by rejoining the match this year. However I took step 3 a couple of months ago and failed it by 1 point. I put it in appeal because the computer had major tech difficulties but it most likely won't change I think from the way they have been responding to me and from what others have told me. I plan on retaking it in the next couple of months, but I was wondering how a failed score on the step 3 will affect my being able to match in IM spot. I did well on Step 1 and 2 and currently in a highly rated program but just don't like what I am doing and want to do medicine again. I am worried about joining the match and then not getting a spot in IM due to my failed step 3 score. Please PM me with any thoughts on what my chances are of still matching and how much they look at teh Step 3 if I am rejoining the match but had good step 1 and 2 scores and everything else of mine is in good standing as well. I want to match in a good program for IM but just worried that my step 3 score will prevent that from happening. Can any one offer any advice..feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks

Given your situation is quite rare, it is generally treated on case-by-case basis (ie. no one on this board can tell you what would happen unless they are a PD). But I suppose the best thing you can do for yourself is think about how you can explain your reason to switch and the reason why you didn't pass step 3 (ie. many people didn't do as well when they take it in their busiest intern month compare to if they take it during their vacation) - if question about this pop up on interview. Given your otherwise good track record I probably wouldn't bring this up unless it is brought up during the interview - just make sure you pass the next step 3... :) I highly doubt it will be a huge factor that will prevent you from getting a spot somewhere, though if you are looking only at the best programs, there are absolutely no guarantees.