Step 3 Timing During GS Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XoQo

PGY1 Retractor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First real post here on SDN...long time lurker. Hello all!

Anyways, as i understand this post might be moved if it doesn't remain germane to the forum topic...some brief background. Been thinking about when best to take Step 3. I saw some discussion on the Step 3 forum about timing in relation to moonlighting, in that you need step 3 complete before getting a license to be eligible to moonlight. At my home institution, a lot of IM/EM do tend to moonlight while in GS practically most do not. A few of the R5s at my institution were sitting for Step 3 last year (i.e. when they were R4s).

From the reading i've done on SDN, it seems that the Step 3 score itself isn't very valuable in terms of fellowship/etc (so long as you pass)-- and that ABSITE scores would carry much more weight than USMLE Step 3 would if a program were looking for scores.

So...with that in mind....just curious when people are planning on or have taken Step 3 during GS residency. Any benefit to taking it before intern year to get it out of the way?

Members don't see this ad.

If your program makes you take Step 3 while on vacation, then taking it before internship might be a good idea. Otherwise take it sometime during your first or second year and get it out of the way.

Score is meaningless as long as you pass. Don't study for it unless passing Step1/2 was an issue for you.

Registering for Step 3 is a bit different than Steps 1 & 2 as you have do do it through and iwth teh permission of a State Medical Board. Most states won't let you take it before internship - Florida used to be (? still is) an exception and anyone oculd register through them.

Agree with most of what Pilot Doc said.

I spent about 3-4 days reviewing for it - mainly by flipping through Crush at a bookstore and skimming through the CCS cases at the end of First Aid. I made sure to do the sample clinical cases provided by the USMLE folks (available online or via CD), and then just went ahead and took it at the beginning of my PGY-2 year. I wanted to take it earlier to (1) get it out of the way, (2) make sure I didn't totally forget all my Psych/Peds/OB/GYN, (3) so I could moonlight during my PGY-3 year as I'm in the lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
My program required us to take it and pass to advance onto third year. I don't specifically recall how much I studied for it, but it likely wasn't much (given this was pre-80 hr workweek) and did fine.

I'll echo much of what has already been said. Take it early and get it over with!!

A good chunk of us took it as interns. The test isn't really hard at all and the biggest key to success is to make sure and do the practice cases on the CD. If you don't practice that, you'll have no idea how to do the clinical scenarios. I made it through Crush Step III once and really only studied that much because I couldn't financially afford to take it again. Turns out I way overstudied but rather that than have regrets and fail :) Good luck