Step 3 timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:

This may have been covered but when are the R-1/R-2's going to take Step 3? I've hear different things like get it over early if you can or if your doing a medicine/FP year wait til the end since your learning most of the exam during the year. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks.

M

Members don't see this ad.

Some programs are mandating taking the USMLE Step 3 by the end of the internship year as it is a requirement of some institutions to have it done before the start of the third year of residency. They had found that many of their second year residents had postponed it until the "bitter end" of the second year and had unfortunately failed it, which automatically denied them entrance into the third year till they passed the exam.

It truly depends on the hospital and the state's requirements.

Hope this helps.

I think the earliest one can take USMLE Step 3 is six months into your PGY-1 year; at least that's the way it is in my state (Michigan). In my opinion, the best strategy is to take it 6-12 months after graduation.

During this time, you might want to get a review book (e.g. Swanson's FP Review) to keep things fresh, although I know lots of people who blitzed it without studying at all.

Sheerstress

The time allowed to sit for the exam is a state by state requirement. Certain states allow the exam even prior to beginning residency training.